Hockey Skates

I need some advice…
I need new skates and I HATE my Eastons. I tried my buddies Bauer 3000’s and loved them, but they were a little heavy… I’ve been doing skate and shoots these past weeks after getting cleared from my ACL surgery, and my old Eastons need to go. They are putting my feet to sleep, and the blade I feel is inferior to the Bauer. So we got any recommendations? Coldaccord, I know you might have some input.

HaVE You tried the Bauer 190’s or XXXX’s? id go to great skate and give them a try, if its a sneaker like fit you want i HIGHLY reccomend Graf’s they can be had at the pro shop at Pepsi center.

The new ultra lights are the shit.

Both reviews and my friend said that they fall apart quickly. I know ultra light stuff from boarding, and cycling to know “lighter” doesn’t hold well to abuse. Which if I buy a pair of skates, I’m not going to replace them for a while. Anyone else chime in on these ultra lights?

The Graf’s I haven’t tried on yet, and was looking at a pair at the pro-shop there, but don’t know to much about them… I noticed the pro-shop at the Pepsi center is pretty biased towards Graf products.

I’ll also check out the 190’s & xxxx’s

grafs are heavy man ive never been a fan of them ive had my bauers for 2 years and they hold up great. before that i had eastons and didnt care for them like you do but a bunch of buds i know with them say they like them

what type of foot do you have? how wide is it at the middle? by the toes? wide or narrow heel? skinny or thick ankles? deep or shallow arch?

what are you looking to spend?

I have a wider foot, I know that for sure. But I wouldn’t say my heel and toes are the issue. Not much of an arch at all and I think thats where my problem is, a wider but flat arch area. I tried the 3000’s and they had a taller arch which made my foot not want to fall asleep. Can I get measured at great skate for all this?

Edit: I don’t really want to spend over $400, but if needed…

I’m heading down to elmwood so I’ll stop by great skate to check out some skate. I was going to play tonight but my blisters are insane!!

it’s a toss up, you can get a great kid who knows his shit or someone who won’t really answer your questions. Just ask different people if need be.

do you want a pitch, or to be more flat? do is your heel wider or narrower?

i’d say just go try stuff on. ccm and bauer are going to throw you forward a bit. ccm u+ has a narrow mid foot and a normal to wide heel. RBK 9k is rather flat, has a wider toe box and wider heel. bauers have a pitch similar to ccm. wider toe box (x series is too wide for me) but everyone loves the x series (xxxx, x60 is the new one). try the one95 and one75 (one75 is basically last years one90 but made overseas).

just try stuff on. you can get stuff much cheaper on ebay. can also get last years version new cheap. check out hockeymonkey.com as well, they have nice prices and a crazy clearance section

normally I say support the little guy, but great skate has high prices, high employee turnover rate, and… well isn’t exactly a little guy.

Yea im not a big fan of the great skate workers. Very seldem do they know their shit.

YOu can get vapor XXXX for 199.99 at hockey monkey now… they were 549.99 when they first came out

I recommend Bauer’s, but what do I know…I don’t even play Hockey.

I’ve always been a CCM fan. My feet are wider, and have always felt too cramped in Bauer skates. And I’ve never even tried anything else. Grafs are probably worth a look, er, try on.

xxxxs are pretty wide. toe box was a bit wide for me actually. seems xxxx fit a lot of people pretty universally though. check them out

im a ccm fan…ever since my pro tacks in 2004. Ive recently(4 months ago) went with the new ccm U+pro skates and they are super crazy light BUT durability SUX. My 5 year old skates look better then these and there only 4 months old.

Plus im still on the rocker blade(ccm u+thing) and you get less blade life because half of its plastic, but its almost done for(needing new blades).

i play a bunch though and i block shots with them and use my feet to accept passes ect ect dont know how much you play…

this is my opinion…everyone is different…if you want something to last i would try something else.

justin, where are you playing these days? I don’t really know about icetime anymore

ya deff dont buy from great skate, you can get alot of skates online at hockeymonkey or hockeygiant for 1/2 the price sometimes. if you dont know the exact size you want try a bunch on at great skate and figure your size out then order em online. I know the bauer vapor XXX and up are all pretty light too so take a look at those

well right now im a sub on a sunday night team at pepsi(not really a lot of talent) and saturdays i play pick up at pepsi but again not as good as your wednessday.

In about a month ill be back into things more regularly with depew,2 teams, a super sneaky skate(talent high) and pick up with some buffalo teachers. i figure its the only way to lose weight lol…i need to drop some

Did you play this past Saturday night at Pepsi…? The ice @ where some dude broke the glass??

must have been a different rink…any idea on time?..the only thing broken where i played was teeth and skin.

guy deflected a pass and shot up into his teeth…1.5 missing

i tried to block a shot and it deflected into my chin but my rugged beard stopped it

any guy blocked a shot and got a fat lip

and another guy got high sticked