Home Addition Question

Is anyone familiar with home additions? My wife and I are wanting to get our of our townhouse because it is getting too small and we would like to start a family. We have found a house that is well beneath our budget and everything is completely updated and it is in a perfect location and on a great lot. The only problem is that it only has two bedrooms. We would like to have 3 or 4. I was wondering how much it typically could cost to add one one or two more bedrooms to a ranch style house.

Thanks.

it usually costs more to buy a small house and add on than buying a bigger house to start with.

Thats what I was afraid of. The house we are looking at is like $130K and I was thinking to add on two more bedrooms would be another $30K? That would put us at $160K and I am sure we can find a similar 3 or 4 bedroom house for that much. I just really loved the location/yard at this place.

Yeah it’s def. a good bit of money to add addition… Good for if you’re already established in your house, but if you’re just starting out, you can probably start out with a bigger house and pay less.

In the current market, 130K for a 2 BR is a lot. It must be really nice or have a great location or property.
Foz could help you out, he does it for a living and knows his shit.

thats exactly what i was thinking. mine was 90 and a two bedroom in a decent school district. but on a busy road. and the 2 b/r’s are over 12x20 so they are big rooms .

I don’t know much about additions, but depending on the lot layout, and building restrictions… it could very easily go way above 30K

Pgh land doesn’t have the kind of value where it typically makes sense to add on, especially right after buying. You could do it, and love it… but then it could take you 1/2 of forever to get your equity back out. If it’s your first house, chances are it won’t be your last house. for the most part younger people aren’t hanging on to houses for 30-40 years anymore

Oh, and thanks Blackbelt!

(btw, I think that garage is still available if you need it again - just call Vince)

think more in the $50K range.

thanks for all the input guys. Yeah, the house is in a great location. It is within walking distance of BP middle school and high school, close to the gym, mall, church and the trolley, and it would cut about 15 minutes off of my commute. BUT, I think you guys are right, we are just going to wait for a bigger house in the same area that we won’t have to add on to. I didn’t realize how much additions can cost. Thanks again.

88k, ranch, 2 bedroom, finished basement, doublelot yard, shed, all updated. good school dis…, just have to look.

Eh, we are trying to get at least 3 bedrooms, 2 car garage, finished basement, 2 full bath. And we are pretty much set on staying in Bethel Park and trying to stay at about $150K. Thanks though.