Honda Grom - the road test.

This was requested a few time recently so I’ve decided to write up a little ride report.

I was on the waiting list for months from Albany Honda to get the little thing, knowing how few units will be in this year and how high the demand is for them. I finally got a call late August to come down and pick it up.

Albany Honda only got 2 in that Month and had lines of people calling in about them. Albany got one and sister Scotia store only got 1 so I had to go to Scotia to pick it up.

0 miles
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20130905_104627_zps25901ce0.jpg

Now let me get one thing out of the way. This is the least thrilling or exciting bike to ride, however I have the biggest smile riding it and it’s always challenging you with things you’re used to take for granted like reaching the speed limit. It’s a novelty that has very two useful aspects 1) it is essentially a street legal 50. Every rider at a certain point in time has a desire to have a silly little throw around bike that is street legal - this is it without hassles. Buy it, register it, ride it. 2) It’s an attention getter. I have gotten into more conversations with people and complements on it than any other bike I’ve ever rode and this is just within 300 miles.

It also helps if you have a friend with one. The other one that got sold from Albany Honda was sold to my coworker and a member on here.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20130928_143604_zps0762d0be.jpg

Trying to blend in

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20130928_154124_zps58708a8f.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20130928_200608_zps6f6bda46.jpg

Next to a car

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20131111_161840_zps2ec9c3e5.jpg

Local giraffe demonstrating the scale ratio (over 6ft tall)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q26/vovchandr/20131111_164623_zps18c4b409.jpg

Some stats:
So far I’ve been averaging 100 miles a gallon on it going wide open throttle everywhere I go. Stock I think I’ve hit 70 mph. It approaches 60mph with little issue but will need full tuck/no wind/flat road to hit 65. If you find a tractor trailer on the highway and get into the draft zone you get go 70mph no problem, however otherswise on a 65mph highway you may find yourself going slower than traffic if hill arises or wind gets the best of you. Other aspects is that it’s aircooled, has no oil filter and for some reason a 2 seater.

In general when me and my coworker rode together we had an absolute blast going down rt9. We would be racing light to light going WOT, ripping through the gears without a worry as we were barely approaching the speed limit. We would be going WOT full tuck going uphill, giving it all it’s got and looking over at cars next to us with their cruise set at 55mph looking at us like we got two heads. We would get behind each other and feel the draft zone which would allow us to get momentum and swing past each other Nascar style the entire way.

As of right now it’s going to a shop to see if we can get some parts made for it. With an exhaust, my coworker is reporting that it can hit 70mph with little struggle, it also makes it sound like a motard/thumper which is a huge plus. There are also turbo kits and big bore kits available already.

I personally think that if the thing can reach 75mph without a struggle and need for full tuck this will be my most used bike. Insurance for the thing cost me $3 for the next 6 months! Stock gearing should be able to get it to right around 75 at redline (4 speed)

If you’re looking for a fun toy or economic commuter to fool around on, this bike will be perfect. If you’re looking for any kind of thrill machine, you will be disappointed. This bike isn’t about performance it’s about the trip.

P.S. you can do stoppies without a problem but you will struggle to do wheelies without a big kit or gearing it.

This thing is so rediculous looking under a 6’3" skinny fuck like myself.

vlad just so you know im parking this thing in my den at my house in ballston spa instead of my shop. Much easier for me to CAD there being i have a nice office at the house thats warmer than my shop. Talk about heated winter storage :lol

But i am totally buying one as soon as i can

Lol, just saw you posted the pic of me on it at jvgs house. :rofl. I feel like i should make a shoulder strap to carry it around.

a pack of those bikes at cherry valley in 2014! that needs to happen!!! I got in an arguement with a kid yesterday who doesnt get the concept of HP and CC’s doesnt mean fast or fun. This is the perfect example. My wifes CRF150R was an absolute BLAST to beat on around the property, the practice track and anywhere else you wanted to go, that power on that grom chassis would be PERFECT. Big bikes are fun but not like these are… I guess I have to add a new project to my list to come out and play with you boys next summer!

LO! nice!

F… I went from wanting one to needing one. Haha. Thanks for the write up Vlad. Much appreciated. I’ve been keeping my eye on those Pitster Pro’s. But there is nothing like a “Honda”. If they get into 70-75mph territory. I know that is speeding, but to me. That means the bike is comfortable at 55 and has a bit more left in it for passing or going up hills. Perfect top speed in my opinion. If the wife and I still have the apartment in the spring. The Grom is going to have to happen. I’m probably a bit heavy for it. But my current commute doesn’t go over 45. So all is well, I think.

Woody… Totally true, bud. I think it’s the fact that we are all getting older. But this kind of stuff is just fun. Street legal fun that you don’t have to chance losing everything over. We have too much to lose as we get older and get financially responsible. I’m sure in a way, this thing is still dangerous…and still can get us in plenty of trouble. But it’s the kind of fun we’d all get back to the house and say…Damn, that was a blast of a ride…to D&D… Or the local twisty for that matter.

F… I would’ve been fine if there were none in this area. Damn you Vlad… Haha. Sweet deal and happy riding.

P.S. Post the first ticket you get…Haha.

The Grom is def the most fun to ride of my 3 bikes. More fun with more then one vs solo…

Put a full Yosi pipe on and my best is 73mph so far. Almost 900 miles on it so far.

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv214/jvalason/20131017_152747.jpg

A few more points I’d like to add.

One of the biggest things about this bike is… it makes riding a challenge again. After 7+ years or riding now, I will admit is has became rather mundane and I’m always on the lookout for ways to get more out of it and challenge myself again. Supermoto allows me to go off the road, faster bikes allow me to experience new thrill of speed, touring allows me to push all the other limits of moto experience… This bike in it’s mini size and its lack of horsepower gives you a whole new experience and challenge. It makes you want to time the lights properly so you maintain speed and momentum, it makes you feel wind resistance and how just tucking can actually give you a few mph top speed, makes you wonder once again about limits of traction on the skinny/hard tires and all of this comes in a very non threatening easy to manage package which doesn’t encourage you to go past the speed limit.

Best of all, after riding the Grom for a few hours, I would get back on the SV and something magical would happen. You remember that feeling you had the first time you go on a fast bike and wound up the throttle? The unexpected feeling of power that you haven’t had since your first week of riding as your body learns to expect that? Well the few miles you spend on the Grom somehow manage to reteach your muscle memory and expectations of the throttle. Your first few miles on your regular bike will bring that unexpected rush back and make it feel like a missile once again for a brief moment. It actually makes you re-appreciate the power and abilities of your bike that you forgot with all the miles of boring commuting. Consider it a magic eraser of expectations. Imagine riding in a stock Ford model T for a few hours at night. Brakes suck, headlights suck, power sucks, features suck etc and then getting into a new 5 series BMW. All those things you took for granted in modern cars and that you look over every day pop right out at you and make themselves apparent… thats what the Grom does just with motorcycles.

That to me alone is worth the price of the Grom.

:number1

holy shit am i going to do it??? T L D…R ugh that was painful to type haha jk… its quite the bike to ride needs to be geared and some exhaust and intake work to make it where id like to enjoy it

Is this the motorcycle version of the saying “Its more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow”?

Also, turbo kits for these things?
http://www.troll.me/images/preacher/lawd-have-mercy.jpg

[ame=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTpiwRsMpQU”]Turbo Grom Startup - YouTube[/ame]

I have more planned for this that you can shake a stick at.

I have dyno time schedule for baseline runs new week Vlad. Wait for the most ridiculous dyno sheet on shift of all time :rofl

I like these a lot better than the honda ruckus.

Reminds me of moped motorcycles

I feel like a Moped would be more fun? Kudos to you though.

Full gear on these?

Very cool! I need to get something like this or a motard. Supersports are fun as hell but they are just a one-trick-pony; there’s so many other aspects of riding that I would love to experience. That’s probably why a lot of diehard riders have at least two or three bikes.

Looks fun take off roading unlike a gsxr 600 which is not as fun

Excellent write up Vlad. You explained to a tee what I have felt on my current bikes. You love riding, but that speed, excitement, challenge isn’t there……within reason. Hate to say it, but I had put many street miles on my old pit bike for this reason. It made riding fun again. I love riding, but it just made everything seem so much more intriguing and new.

I think a turbo would look awesome on it. But I wouldn’t do it. I’d want intake/exhaust/gearing. Make it sound like a mini-tard and rock it. Mine had a ridiculous sounding exhaust, just way loud. I had to put an insert in the exhaust tip to quiet it some. 70ish mph for top speed and it would allow for an awesome rev range for normal riding. All around fun little bike for someone that wants to ride a “toy” again. Every time you head out, it’s like you are getting away with ripping down the road on a little dirtbike/pitbike. Sweetness…….