How did you learn to race?

just go to the track. they will help you learn. maybe go spectate one time and aska couple questions while there. go back and enter your car. i would take a daily there first time to familiarize youyrself. you do not have to have a Top Fuel car or anything insane to run. a lot of people have daily cars that they race. although i wouldn’t recommend it once you step up to more power. but you do not run the car any harder at the track than you do on the street

the biggest mistake most people do when they first race is line up with the tree…Please dont embarrass yourself by doing that. Watch other racers line up. Theres a rectangular white box on the ground that has 3 small holes which hold the sensors in it. Line up with that box. Its before the tree(the thing that lights up to let you know when to go).and ya i agree with everyone else.take a daily up there to race just to get used to the track and the way they do things. People race all kinds of things like suv’s and vans so dont feel embarrassed.

street

liar, they didn’t make barbie big wheels back then. My dukes of hazzard big wheels would’ve owned all.

Green machine > Dukes of Hazzard

x2

geah!

that pic is priceless, gotta ask my mother is she saved any of mine. I rocked that General Lee big wheel until the wheels wore through, then did it all over again. If they made those things for adults, I’d be all over it.

I had the general lee pedal car

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dukes-of-Hazzard-pedal-car-Coleco-General-Lee-RARE_W0QQitemZ170146025953QQihZ007QQcategoryZ19022QQcmdZViewItem

that’s pretty rad, I wanted one as a kid, but never got one.

Knowing how far you can push your vehicle before it breaks is also a key…i’ve gotten into stupid races with my slow cars and i’ve found out the scary way what it feels like when ur tire is trying to give out under the instense pressure of high speed cornering or when a front wheel drive car’s ass swings out into the other lane of a tight backroad…all stupid mistakes that will never be made again…you truly don’t know what your cars pushing point is until you just about get there and practically piss yourself

i rode it down the steps one night. badass. :rofl:

sweet

I’m a little bit jealous.

First time I went down the 1/4 was here (Pamona,CA):

Seems like the prices are a lot higher than 2002. Definitely fun.
The cars were de-tuned to half throttle and ran something like 11.33@115.

The track rentals are a great way to learn. I’ve been to 2 of them this year for a total of 26 runs. (Shameless plug for Brandon’s next track rental.)

that frank hawley thing looks like a blast, I may have to check it out in florida

def a blast to go to drag racing school. the classes offered in florida were not for beginners when we signed up. it may have changed now. they were more for licensing in florida more than pleasure. my time was 11.19. rail cars are def different than door slammers though.

had that too. i wore out the 9 volt that powerd the horn all the time. then my tires when bald from pedaling to fast.

Just go out and do it. The best time to go is on a Test and Tune night as stated before. I’ve been bracket racing for 9 years. I have 6 wins and 5 runner ups under my belt, All I did was go and learn to have fun. No I didn’t win my first year, But some are luckier.

You will find some people who are willing to talk to you and some who are NOT. Most racers generally are friendly though and are a little more helpful if you can find something common with them.

If you need ANY help at all, feel free to e-mail me and I’ll try and help as best as possible. DO NOT street race. While many get started there, It is not smart and is the reason why dragstrips are around!!!

-Steve
sixpakdodge@yahoo.com

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d119/sixpakdodge/1972%20Dart/dartrising.jpg