How did you learn to race?

I have been interested in getting into 1/4 racing. At some point I would like to get a car that has already been set up for 1/4 racing (like an older Mustang or Camaro) and going to some open track nights. My question is, where did everyone learn to race? How did you learn to launch, burnout, and all of the other skills that it takes to drag race?

Going to the drag strip and doing it is probably the best way.

don’t tell anyone but i learned on the street. I never street race anymore. I do it all on the track.

What do you Drive?

Come out friday and learn! With a chance to take home some loot braket racing! as long as it is a 4 or 6cyl

I never really learned, just went to the track and figured it out…

i think some people are just born with skills other are not… i mean you can obviously learn how but me for example… i kinda just did it. being around cars all my life didnt hurt. i think to go straight line you have to be a well rounded driver… you gotta know how to correct your car when its not going straight. driving in the snow and driving a RWD car teaches you this stuff.

Have you ever been to the track?

yeah. i’ve ran @ keystone few dozen times, i’ve ran at norwalk and rt 66 @chicagoland as well.

now granted my cars are gonna just go straight since they are slow, but i’ve driven cars that are that fast that they got sideways.

on my big wheel

I currently have a 2007 Mazda3 but I won’t be racing that because it is my DD. I just got interested in cars back in highschool like 8 years ago but have only really read about racing and watched racing but never done it since no one else in my family looked at cars as anything more than a way to get to and from work. My wife keeps telling me that she want’s me to get a car someday and start racing, I guess I just need to find a car and start practicing.

I street race, thats where I learned and thats where I hone my skill

daily drivers are perfect for bracket racing because they are consistant… hell i came in 4th one night in my bonneville, the only reason i didnt do better is because i redlighted by one 100th. you just gotta watch thou… you’re not covered if something happends while ur involved in a “speed contest”

+1 for street

rev it to redline and dump clutch. Keep trying different things until one works. :smiley:

just went to the track…there will be people around that give advice best place to learn

the street

i watch teh fast n the furious and i learned abit from there…

bought a car and started familarizing myself with teh car on the street and web forums where i learned about the car and readign about other racer techniques, etc.

finally got the car to the track and started goin there on occassion and just racing. had a few problems and solved them by learning online or advice from ppl about how to get the most out of the car. working so far

Rent a car, buy the full damage waiver, then flog it this Friday in the 6 or 4-cyl bracket class.

go to the track on a regular race day watch, talk to racers and learn and also theirs alot of old camaros and mustangs their.

http://www.dominickracing.com/

5th and forbes taught me

it all depends on the car and what kind of transmission(auto or manual). they have what they call test n tune nights on wed.u pay 20 bucks and get roughly 3-5 runs. just go up and run ur car when u get it. Like ne thing else start at the beginning.after getting a car u can ask ne 1 on here about some tips and things to watch out for and just go from there. probably the hardest is the launch especially if u have a stick. u can either bog, spin or every once in awhile hook up; and sometimes if u hook u can brake something.lol.its not impossible and after u get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun. If u got the time and money u should try it.

just drive around like a ricer everyday like I do. Earn some street cred!