Spec Miata Q's?

Ok boys and girls…

Not right now… but possibly sometime soon, I may be looking into buying/building a spec miata for competiton. I would be doing as much NASA and SCCA as I could within any track around 500 miles.

I have done some preliminary research and assessed most of my costs and have found it to be doable on my budget but it will be milking me pretty dry on any other hobby I will have/building my other car.

I would not really expect to have a highly competitive car for a few seasons but im ok with that. I just really want to get out there and log lots of seat time in lots of races.

I feel my biggest obstacle would be my limited mechanical knowledge but I hear mx-5’s are easy to wrench on and this would be a great learning experience for me. As for a “pit crew,” I know of a few people with a fair amount of knowledge who I believe would be willing to help.

So what im asking is…

Anyone on here compete/know someone who competes/competed in this class?

What is your/their take from it? (fun, slow, boring, expensive, ect)

What hidden costs am I missing outside of lodging, gas, licensing, perishable parts (tires, brakes, ect)?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks Guys

Also… sponsorship? Anyone know what kind of small money can be brought in/saved by experience, with sponsors?

Spec Miata has turned into racing by the letter of the law and not so much the spirit of the law. This means there are guys out there buying multiple motors, putting each on a dyno, and finding which makes 1 more hp than the others. They are also building “stock” motors, meaning every cc and bit of compression that can be had is used. This adds up to a slightly faster car than someone else, this guy is also the asshole that doesn’t care how much paint he scrapes off of his car or anyone else’s car. This isn’t necessarily the norm, but it’s not uncommon.

All that being said, it’s a very full class with lots of competition (large fields). So you aren’t one of 4 cars in your class. Cars are relatively cheap. They are fast enough to be fun. Parts are easy to find if you bend something. Not a terrible place to start learning about W2W racing, just don’t expect to win.

As Greg said, it’s become a money class. I know guys with 13-20k NA “stock” miata motors. It’s absurd. It’s also a class of bumper cars.

have you ever thought of just building a honda hatch or something and just doing as much racing as possible.

Im ok with going into it with low expectations. As I said, its more about getting a lot of wheel to wheel seat time and having fun. I Know im gonna get knocked around and may have to miss races due to blown motors or frame damage, but in such a class where you can “keep up” with only $10k of an initial investment, I just cant see why more people dont do this.

While yes, those guys with built and tested motors are out there taking podium spots, im sure there is still a good % of guys who are going to be just like me and doing it on a budget.

I like the idea of “driver oriented” racing when it comes down to how little I actually have to spend. I could be the best driver in the world but that guy who makes $100k a year may come out with his little “weekend project” and just wipe the car I just invested everything I have into.

It seems like this is a class where almost everyone has at least a decent chance to be competitive.

Do you have any track experience or do you just “want a racecar”

Sounds like the meat grinder of SCCA, avoid at all costs (comparing to SB classes in motorcycle racing). Go with another class that you’ll get to learn more in, instead of being on the most packed grid they can fit on the track at any given time.

I have been to dunnville a few times but other than that not much. If I was going into this with a “I just want a race car” mentality, believe me, I would not be settling on a miata class lmao.

If you’ve only been to Dunnville, no offense, you have no business “racing”.

Take your daily, put pads and fluid on, and start doing some DE’s with NASA/BMW/PCA.

If spec Miata isn’t appropriate for those trying to get into competitive racing, what is?

Just curious, because I wanted to do the same thing as the OP.

Spec Miata is a great class to go racing in, I’m just merely warning him of the costs involved. Also for someone with little to no time in a DE environment going “racing” is not a smart idea and most places wont even allow him to get his license. For example, dmoffitt who does a ton of track days, is NOT eligible to get his comp license with NASA right now. I’m not eligible either currently. BMWCCA and PCA have more lax rules, but you need a BMW or Porsche.

I know how to rev match, heel toe, identify lines ect. I am by no means an expert as I assume you are seeing that you have been around this for years, but I do know how to drive. I would definitely need more practice/guidence/experience but that would come before I got into it.

I can understand your reasoning if I was talking about maybe anything more than a cheap spec class but these are 120hp cars. They are more or less big go karts. I am by no means underestimating the competitive nature of the class, im just saying I want to start, I want to start soon and I cant see any better of a way to do it.

You know how they say the best way to learn is to just get in there. I think I will be ok being that there was a few 16 year olds and younger in the one spec race I have seen.

EDIT: I believe NASA requires you to take a course to gain your licence anyways right? These are some of the questions I want answered rather than being to told dont do it. I know I am more than capable of holding my own. Im sure thats everyones mentality but like I said, a 14 year old finished 50 something out of 64 in the race I saw. If that does not tell you its for everyone who can afford it, I dont know what does.

Alright, maybe I read the thread too quickly and misunderstood somethings.

If he isn’t too concerned about being competitive and is rather more interested in getting seat time, spec miata seems appropriate, since the ENTRY level costs are minor in comparison.

Provided he doesn’t wreck, get bumped, punted, etc (which is highly likely in SM). Sure, once he has enough seat time acquired with the sanctioning body to get a comp license.

I’m no expert but you don’t need any experience to get a novice permit and enter a school according to the scca website. Whats wrong with deciding you want to go racing after doing a few events on a small(er) track?

http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=43

STEP 2 - Submit your Paperwork

Submit the Novice Permit Application with all of the required documents and Novice Permit fee to the SCCA Central Licensing Department at P. O. Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400; OR you may obtain your Novice Permit through your local Region’s licensing representative (see SCCA Divisions/Regions maps for links to Region Web sites). NOTE: If you are 16-17 years of age, you must apply for all Competition Licenses through the SCCA Central Licensing Department at the National Office. The Novice Permit, often referred to as a “logbook,” allows you to enter an SCCA Driver School and later, SCCA Regional Club Racing events. Almost anyone 16 years and older, who has a Motor Vehicle Operators license, is eligible for a Novice Permit. Items required prior to issuance of a Novice Permit include:

1. A current Physical Examination* dated no more than three months prior to application.
  2. Two passport size photos.
  3. A photocopy of both sides of your Motor Vehicle Operators license
  4. 16 and 17 year olds:
    a. A completed Parental Consent, Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
    b. A completed Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
  5. If you are 18-21 years of age and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, a notarized Minor Waiver Release form.
  6. $110 Novice Permit fee. *NOTE: If you have health problems, you must get the approval of the SCCA Medical Board. For details contact the Central Licensing Department at 800-770-2055.

Novice Permit does not equal Competition License. You still need at least 2 schools before you’re allowed to race for real. And they like you to have many other track days outside the school first.

If you own a SM, take it to a track for a DE and see what kind of lap times you put down. Then look at what qualifying times are to see if you’d even be on the lead lap after 20 minutes. It’s a real eye opener for someone new to the sport.

I have 30 track days or so and I’m just getting ready for my first race school. I didn’t realize how terrible I was until my first ride with a real racer in my own car. Just looking at the dash clock I realized he was almost 20 seconds a lap faster than I was. Now my times for SpecE30 are almost competitive. Mid pack is where I’ll learn more about driving and learn to pick up time.

Yea id def do as many DE’s as you can, ive been to a bunch of HPDE’s here at summit point and my friend even is a instructor for it

OT but I’d like to get into spec e30, anyone else?