Spec Miata Q's?

Yeah I really have been meaning to get to some but its never convenient for me. God I wish Buffalo had a closer track.

I read a bit about this on the spec miata forums, and it seems to cost way more than 20g’s the first year. I’m pretty sure I’m not fast, but it would be a really fun series to run in.

Yeah i love it summit point is just about 10 minutes from my house, i just wish they did more hpdes and such.

I really wish there was more auto-x’s by me though, the closest one usually is atleast 2 hrs from me

You can run an SM in ITA if you want to get come competition time before joining the meat grinder.

I had heard this too. This is where I may start

I honestly wish I had the free time to invest in this.

I CAN HAS RACE CAH?

lol

Word, exactly what I was thinking.

Buying a spec race car to start doing track days is the ass backwards approach as far as learning and doing the fiscally intelligent thing is concerned. Also as Mike pointed out people aren’t always nice in real wheel to wheel racing, which can lead to unexpected repairs etc.

if you can buy a pre built car at a good price this might be ok.

are you planning on buying a truck??

I just spent $250 on gas for the truck alone to tow the new 240 700 miles. do you really want that once a month or more?

gl josh

Its feesable if you have a partner now isnt it… I just so happen to know someone who is interested. His name starts with an S and ends with an eep lmao:cool:

And yes, prebuilt seems the way I would like to go. Its just so much more cost efficient.

that doesnt seem like a horrible idea I guess. are these cars street legal or no? that could end up costing you alot more if you need to trailer it everywhere.

and on the cost, definetly. also alot more time efficient too

They are street legal but you can remove the cats for racing so I will have to get a :rolljerk: inspection. I may use this as a winter car since there will be a hard top with it lol.

I do plan on buying an open trailer with a tire rack too which will be valuabe now that I will have three unreliable cars now lol. I found a few newer ones for around $1500 (trailers that is).

very cool. whats going to happen to the sti though? still going to mod it or ?

And thats why lol

If you are having trouble finding time to make it to other track events I don’t see how you will have time to take care of a car and do full weekend events that are several hours away. It takes a lot of time to prep a car and keep it going.

Here’s the whole text from my previous post on getting a license.

IF YOU HAVE NO PREVIOUS RACING EXPERIENCE…

STEP 1 - Join the SCCA

Joining the SCCA has never been easier, simply click here.

Next, you’ll need to go visit your doctor for a sports physical. You can download that form, as well as the Novice Permit form. If you are 16-18 years old and want to drive competitively or work in a hot area, you’ll need to complete the Minor Release and Waiver and Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (Form MS-L - MUST BE PRINTED IN COLOR). These are available for download, or you can contact SCCA to have one mailed to you. If you are under 21 and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, you will also need to complete the Minor Release and Waiver and Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (Form MS-L - MUST BE PRINTED IN COLOR).

STEP 2 - Submit your Paperwork

Submit the Novice Permit Application with all of the required documents and Novice Permit fee to the SCCA Central Licensing Department at P. O. Box 19400, Topeka, KS 66619-0400; OR you may obtain your Novice Permit through your local Region’s licensing representative (see SCCA Divisions/Regions maps for links to Region Web sites). NOTE: If you are 16-17 years of age, you must apply for all Competition Licenses through the SCCA Central Licensing Department at the National Office. The Novice Permit, often referred to as a “logbook,” allows you to enter an SCCA Driver School and later, SCCA Regional Club Racing events. Almost anyone 16 years and older, who has a Motor Vehicle Operators license, is eligible for a Novice Permit. Items required prior to issuance of a Novice Permit include:

1. A current Physical Examination* dated no more than three months prior to application.
  2. Two passport size photos.
  3. A photocopy of both sides of your Motor Vehicle Operators license
  4. 16 and 17 year olds:
    a. A completed Parental Consent, Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
    b. A completed Minor’s Assumption of Risk Acknowledgment form (original only, photo copies not accepted).
  5. If you are 18-21 years of age and live in Alabama, Nebraska, or Wyoming, a notarized Minor Waiver Release form.
  6. $110 Novice Permit fee. *NOTE: If you have health problems, you must get the approval of the SCCA Medical Board. For details contact the Central Licensing Department at 800-770-2055.

STEP 3 - Prepare to enter an SCCA Driver School Event

Check the “Calendar” section of SportsCar magazine or your Region’s newsletter to find the next Driver School in your area. Call the phone number listed next to the event date that interests you and request an event entry form to be sent to you. Some Regions hold Drivers Schools only in the Spring, others conduct them year round; however, you may attend an SCCA Driver School anywhere in the country. To attend an SCCA Driver School, you must arrange for your own properly prepared race car. You will also need approved driving gear, including an SCCA approved helmet. If you do not have a race car, you will have to rent or lease one in order to attend a school. Renting allows you to concentrate on driving and also permits you to consider which class best fits your goals before you buy a car. Rental prices generally range from $500 - $2,000 depending on the car type. Contact your local Region’s Competition Chairman for assistance in obtaining a rented vehicle.
READ AND BECOME FAMILIAR WITH THE GCR BEFORE your first school, paying special attention to the section on Flags! This is where you’ll find information about specific vehicles as well as equipment requirements and standards.

STEP 4 - Driver School Checklist

Upon receipt of your event entry packet, READ ALL the information provided. Most importantly, note the rules and regulations specific to the event and the race track. Complete your entry form in its entirety and return it to the person listed. Make absolutely certain your personal driving equipment, (i.e., Helmet, Driving Suit, Gloves/Shoes, etc.) is in good order, and that your car is race-ready BEFORE the first on-track sessions. Be punctual for your classroom sessions. These are mandatory.
Make every effort to have a qualified mechanic on hand to ensure your car runs properly, as you successfully must complete all the on-track sessions in order to get credit for the school.

STEP 5 - SCCA Regional Competition License…and Beyond

Upon completion of two Driver Schools and two Regional Races (you’re still a Novice for your first two), you are eligible to receive an SCCA Regional Competition License. You have two years from the date of issue to complete the Novice requirements. Once the requirements are met, send your completed Novice Permit, signed off by the event Chief Steward at your second Regional race; a copy of your Physical Exam; and $75 to the Central Licensing Department. You will soon be the proud owner of a Regional Competition License. After successfully completing four Regional events, you may upgrade to a National Competition License.

Sounds easy enough…

It is not difficult at all, and drivers school is a ton of fun, you get a huge amount of track time, and instruction at the end of every session.

Total Bullshit, there are double schools so you can get your license in one weekend, and THERE IS NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE NEEDED

Also total bullshit.

I personally know a lot of guys who do spec miata, but as most everyone said in this thread, your approach is not wise unless you have money to burn.

quoted for truth.

Unless you really WANT to piss away cash in Wreck Miata :fail: