how does this work?

http://milaadesign.com/wizardy.html

“I’m freakin-out man”, you are freakin-out…man

I have no clue…cool tho

multiples of 9. check the pattern on the symbols

but you can guess different symbols… I’d agree if it was the same sign each time.

Nope. Your answer will always be a multiple of 9. If you look at the chart of symbols, each one repeats corresponding with a multiple of 9. The chart just changes each time you retry it to make it look like it’s “guessing” a different symbol each time.

word - took me 3 tries to figure out what it was doing though, interesting regardless :stuck_out_tongue:

HA, you’re so smart… I didn’t realize the chart was changing each time.

it screwed up on one of mine… boooooo

or you just can’t add :lol: It can’t screw up.

JEG is that you?

This is one of the first things we study in Number Theory. Its a counterintuitive result of residue systems in a congruence class, it works for 2,3 any mutiple of them. For the actual proof you need a few theorems that deal with Complete Residue Systems and Reduced Residue Systems modulo any integer.

Modulo 9 the CRS={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8} and the RRS={1,2,4,5,7,8}. Since every integer can be expressed as one of {3m,3m+1,3m+2} where m is some integer, we will always produce a member of the RRS for any integer. There are a few ways to do this next part:1.) we can show through exhausting every case that for any integer modulo 9 we will subtract its congruence when we add its representative integers
2.)We can prove this as a generality for cyclic groups with generators.

If you think this is long, the real proof takes a few pages…