how long was the site down?

i didn’t even know…

since about 6 or 6.30

hmmm

really??? didn’t notice

some members prob went into shock

i was sitting on the floor of my room crying :frowning:

:embarassd

going to check the logs now… lets see if anyone was trying to be cool and trying a DOS

That’d be my guess. It’d still connect every now and again, but when it did it was really slow. Most of the time just no connection.

-TJ

DOS?

you know DAWWWWWWWS. :smiley:

Denial of service. It’s a webpage hack that basically shuts down a site by bombarding it with hits.

Signature Material :slight_smile:

kinda, not really.

Web stuff is not my specialty, but I was close. :hs:

ahhh, gotcha. :doh:

Description
This document provides a general overview of attacks in which the primary goal of the attack is to deny the victim(s) access to a particular resource. Included is information that may help you respond to such an attack.

A “denial-of-service” attack is characterized by an explicit attempt by attackers to prevent legitimate users of a service from using that service. Examples include

attempts to “flood” a network, thereby preventing legitimate network traffic
attempts to disrupt connections between two machines, thereby preventing access to a service
attempts to prevent a particular individual from accessing a service
attempts to disrupt service to a specific system or person

Not all service outages, even those that result from malicious activity, are necessarily denial-of-service attacks. Other types of attack may include a denial of service as a component, but the denial of service may be part of a larger attack.

Illegitimate use of resources may also result in denial of service. For example, an intruder may use your anonymous ftp area as a place to store illegal copies of commercial software, consuming disk space and generating network traffic

Impact
Denial-of-service attacks can essentially disable your computer or your network. Depending on the nature of your enterprise, this can effectively disable your organization.

Some denial-of-service attacks can be executed with limited resources against a large, sophisticated site. This type of attack is sometimes called an “asymmetric attack.” For example, an attacker with an old PC and a slow modem may be able to disable much faster and more sophisticated machines or networks.

MODES OF ATTACK
Denial-of-service attacks come in a variety of forms and aim at a variety of services. There are three basic types of attack:

consumption of scarce, limited, or non-renewable resources
destruction or alteration of configuration information
physical destruction or alteration of network components

Consumption of Scarce Resources
Computers and networks need certain things to operate: network bandwidth, memory and disk space, CPU time, data structures, access to other computers and networks, and certain environmental resources such as power, cool air, or even water.

Network Connectivity
Denial-of-service attacks are most frequently executed against network connectivity. The goal is to prevent hosts or networks from communicating on the network. An example of this type of attack is the “SYN flood” attack described in

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1996-21.html
In this type of attack, the attacker begins the process of establishing a connection to the victim machine, but does it in such a way as to prevent the ultimate completion of the connection. In the meantime, the victim machine has reserved one of a limited number of data structures required to complete the impending connection. The result is that legitimate connections are denied while the victim machine is waiting to complete bogus “half-open” connections.

You should note that this type of attack does not depend on the attacker being able to consume your network bandwidth. In this case, the intruder is consuming kernel data structures involved in establishing a network connection. The implication is that an intruder can execute this attack from a dial-up connection against a machine on a very fast network. (This is a good example of an asymmetric attack.)

Using Your Own Resources Against You
An intruder can also use your own resources against you in unexpected ways. One example is described in

http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1996-01.html
In this attack, the intruder uses forged UDP packets to connect the echo service on one machine to the chargen service on another machine. The result is that the two services consume all available network bandwidth between them. Thus, the network connectivity for all machines on the same networks as either of the targeted machines may be affected.

Bandwidth Consumption
An intruder may also be able to consume all the available bandwidth on your network by generating a large number of packets directed to your network. Typically, these packets are ICMP ECHO packets, but in principle they may be anything. Further, the intruder need not be operating from a single machine; he may be able to coordinate or co-opt several machines on different networks to achieve the same effect.

i had to call 911!

Funny shit isn’t it?