Howdy I'm a 518 noob

Eh, they all have four wheels. I love all cars. Different cars have different strong points and weaknesses. I’m sure you wouldn’t have enjoyed the interior in the Cobalt nearly as much as the interior in your Si. What are your plans for it?

yea I love the interior in the Si!

I’m up in the air about my plans are at this point. I really want to get in to Autocrosses and track events but I’m not sure it’s the best idea to do with my daily driver.

For modifications I’m going to start out simple next spring with a new exhaust and intake… definitely going to do a lipkit on the front and eventually a more aggressive spoiler on the back (probably the Mugen one) I eventually want it to look like this one:

There is also a Flashkit that makes the Vtech kick in at about 4500 instead of 6000 which is an easy/ very useful upgrade.

Do you track your car at all? I’m just debating whether I should keep the mods on this one simple and get an EVO eventually to mod the hell out of and beat into the ground at track events…It’s brand new otherwise I’d say the hell with it and go to town LOL

You really can’t mess anything up at an auto x, especially a newer, reliable car like yours. I’ve auto X’d both of my DD’s and my only cars, the only thing that it’s hurt is my wallet a bit for new tires :slight_smile:

Once my car is completed and the bugs are worked out, I actually plan to get my open track license. Up until this point, I haven’t really tracked it at all. Took it down the 1320 about 8 times with misc different mods, but all on the M62 with shitty traction (like 2.5-2.6 60’s w/ a best of 13.7@109).

I’m not really a drag race kinda guy when it comes to FWD, even w/ awd or rwd, it’s fun but not what I would do every weekend. I’m much more content out on the open road and will love to stretch my car’s legs on a road course.

I would agree that auto-x is perfectly fine for a DD, but be much more proactive about maintenance. Brakes and fluids will need more attention with that kind of abuse. My advice would be to save your money and just tune + bolt on for your daily. That’s what I would do if I did it all over again…

EDIT: FYI - Lip and wing look nice.

good to know! that pretty much convinced me right there that I need to get it on the track! I def don’t see my stock tires lasting very long… plan on getting some stickier ones before I hit Tail of the Dragon next year!

Thanks for the input as well… I think that’s definitely the best idea… then I only have to worry about one car. What’s an open track license?

I plan on going to Lebanon Valley once the weather gets nice again to open it up… haven’t even screeched the tires yet!

Nice! I’m not going to be auto x’ing early next season or possibly not at all due to what my car situation will be most likely but I’ll be watching every event I can get to. I’m at the point where I can help out the first or second-timers a little bit but still can learn a SHITload from the veterans even from watching on the sides, let alone riding along :lol

awesome, well yea keep me posted on whats happening when it gets nice out again… I know I definitely want to watch a couple events first before I get into it. what’s happening with your car?

putting it back to stock, selling my BBS’s and Kosei’s and getting ready to start a project of some sorts, not sure exactly what but it will be a kind of a clusterfuck drag/autox/drift all in one lol. I’ll make threads for all of the local auto x’s if they’re not already up in the spring.

Hope to see ya out there!

awesome, most def! sounds like a badass project… are your wheels for sale anywhere?

BBS’s will be for sale weekend after thanksgiving (have to paint/reassemble them) and the Kosei’s will likely be sold soon locally, i have a few interested parties. if none of them end up buying them i’ll put them f/s on here and the rest of the innernetz.

they’re both 4x100 so they wouldn’t fit your car anyway :slight_smile:

oh well thanks anyways… nice avatar btw hahaha

welcome

You’ll be happy about your decision in the end.

Open track license gives you the ability to go to road courses and take your car out on your own (with instructor approval) to open it up. Thinking about starting out at Watkin’s Glen…

…Lebanon is a tough track to run good times w/ a FWD, fyi. Especially on street tires!

thanks!

nice, is it like Gran Turismo where you have to pass a series of tests to achieve it? lol My Dad races at Watkins glen every year, I’d like to start there too.

Yea I just meant dragging on Wednesday night just to open up the car a little bit, but I def do need some racing tires if I’m going to get into it