HVAC Cleaning Question...

Does anyone have a reference as to who to go to for affordable HVAC cleaning?

We’ve lived in this house since 1995, and since we have moved in, have NEVER had the air vents and ducting cleaned. Lately, we’ve noticed more and more that my younger brother’s asthma has been acting up, along with the fact that we all have bad allergies and sinus infections. Basically, we know our IAQ (indoor air quality) isn’t that great and we need to do something about it, soon.

How much does this type of service cost? (ballpark)

How long does it take?

Who’s the company to go to, keeping in mind that cost must not be too much?

Thanks a lot guys,
Chris

I read up on it when I had the new furnace put in. If you spend less than $500 it’s basically a scam. You can pull the registers off and stick your vacuum hose down it to do the same job. A proper air duct cleaning goes for $500+ and most people say spend your money elsewhere. You’d be better off spending the money getting your carpets cleaned as that’s probably where the majority of your problem lies (see what I did there?)

^True. You can do a really good job with a shop-vac with a long hose in the vents by yourself. But if you really want to hire someone these guys did a really good at my brothers with their newborn:

Central Heating and Cooling
2210 William St.
Cheektowaga, NY 14206
716-668-6809

He had a New furnace put it but the cleaned all the duct work as part of the job. They covered all the registers except one (At any given time), hooked a vac-truck to the basement using 6-8" hose, and blew each vent back from the top floor and worked down one at a time.

I saw it…:tup:

I just had Stanley Steemer do mine a couple weeks ago. My ducts had never been cleaned, and I just did a lot of renovation to my house so I needed to get this done before turning my heat one. The quote online said it would cost me about $500-600. I called them up to discuss the process in person, and found they had a coupon if you arranged a same day or next day service (assuming an opening is available).

I also looked into having indoor air professionals do it, who got great reviews on Angies List. Their quote came in a little higher and they didnt have openings for a number of weeks, so I decided to go with Stanley Steemer at half the price.

If you have any questions let me know.

Cleaning up the ducts won’t improve the air quality too much at all. Your furnace should be inspected and cleaned every year. The filter on the furnace is not going to improve air quality, it is to protect the equipment from dust.

As said earlier you are much better getting the rugs cleaned, and sucking the dust out with a hose.

Is it really worth 500 bucks to take apart some duct work and clean it up?

^Well, these are the questions I have and the answers I need answered, lol.