I feel sort of guilty posting this, but.....

Don’t you see a whitewash coming regarding the “friendly fire” death of the trooper: “The police said that the suspect, who was hiding in the house after shooting another trooper the day before, fired one bullet at the slain trooper, David C. Brinkerhoff, but that it hit his body armor. That bullet knocked Trooper Brinkerhoff onto one knee. He was then struck once in the back of the head, fatally, during the fusillade of bullets that followed from three other troopers.”

In no way does it diminsh the tragedy of the trooper’s death. Just that they are trying to make heroes out of the other offficers and they seem to have fucked up in a major way. How are police trained in such a situation? I know that in combat, regardless of training, people just let loose in the general direction of what they are trying to hit. But I would think that different rules apply in a civilian situation - like that you are supposed to be aiming at a specific target before you fire? Something about this bugs me. The officers involved in the shooting must feel terrible, and they also have my sympathy. But it does seem to me that they screwed the pooch.

Yeah, something broke down bigtime.

Real sad for sure.

Its a silly misconception that the average LEO is in some way a weapons expert. Most cannot even hold a weapon properly, and proper identification of your target is day one stuff. Your telling me that those officers looked threw their sights and saw an officer, yet still pulled the trigger, or they just blindly poped off rounds gangster style. Yea, there is no way to look good on this. And if the officer wasn;t knocked to his knees, then he would of taken rounds to the back from his friends, probably breaking his back. Either way you look at it, these barny fife’s should pay for their reckless use of a firearm.

:bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated::bloated:

I don’t understand this post^ are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Problem is every asshole holding a gun feels the need to pop off a few rounds if anyone else is doing it. God forbid they miss a oportunity to fire their weapon in the field.

I dont know how the F you shoot your own guy in the neck.

I’ve been shooting guns/hunting all my life, I’m an excellent marksman, with an impeccable gun safety record. I’d like to think that if ever in a situation where I had to fire on another person who was shooting at me the training I’ve had (aim, line of fire, crossfire etc) would not simply be thrown out the window, but until you are in that situation you can’t be 100% sure.

What I’m getting at is it’s easy to sit here and say, “oh, he shouldn’t have done that”, comfy behind your computer monitor safe in your house. Unless you’ve actually had someone shoot at you with the intent to kill, quite honestly, your opinions don’t mean shit, and nor does your hypothesis of how you would react.

^^ by your own logic, your opinion doesnt mean shit…HA

i win

officer training teaches you to make a hlf moon around the suspect and never put yourself between the suspect and other officers… obviously things happen fast and people are scared for their life in these situations, mistakes sometimes happen.

Lets not also forget that the round that killed the officer was a .223, from a police sniper rifle. Not exactly something that you should or even conceivably would be firing off randomly (not that you should with any firearm).

.223 from a ar15?

Could be. I had a Remington 700 in mind but I didn’t see if they ever mentioned what gun it was fired from.

.223 is not a sniper round.

And regardless of what your training is, my point was that training when you’re firing at paper targets hardly prepares you for a real person shooting at you.

Only one person will ever know the truth, and he has to live with pulling the trigger that killed a fellow officer. It’s a terrible situation that isn’t helped by a bunch of counterstrike experts debating how much better they could have handled it.

Umm?

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn10-e.htm

Interesting. I guess the question is was it a sniper looking through a scope, or someone with tunnel vision firing an AR15.

It wasnt a fucking sniper rifle. IT was a AR-15. You have to call in the sniper and they use .308s. There are some officers who are more advancedly trained and have AR-15s in there trunks

could it possibly have been a ricochet? i haven’t read anything about this, just wondering?