ICE in you cell phone...In Case of Emergency

I stumbled accross today even though it says 2008. Did not find it on here so I thought it may be useful to share…who knows it may come in handy:

Following a disaster in London , the East Anglican Ambulance Service has launched a national “In case of Emergency (ICE)” campaign.

Citizen Preparedness Tip — Put ICE In Your Phone

Struck by the number of patients who did not have any contact information (or the ability to give it to him), a British paramedic came up with the idea of having citizens add their In Case of Emergency contacts to their mobile phones. The concept spread throughout Europe and now has reached the U.S. In 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 1,600,000 emergency room patients could not provide contact information because they were incapacitated.

So, you should create an entry in your address book titled ICE with the names and contact information of the person(s) who should be contacted if something happens to you. I have the numbers and email addresses of my wife and my father. You can also create different ICE entries. (It also might be helpful if you lose your phone, though to be honest I just lost my Blackberry and my ICE numbers were not called.)

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc.

my verizon’s contact list has an ICE list that is at the very top…

a couple other good numbers to have in your phone would be:
worldwide emergencies: 112
(works anywhere on any phone on any plan even it it is not activated)

Free411: 1-800-373-3411
(explains itself)

hidden battery power: *3370#

Is this also the standard in US?

This would be useful but my phone is locked with a PIN.

Comments: Beware forwarded emails offering esoteric tips and tricks “you never knew.” Most of the claims in this message are either false or have limited applicability. Let’s examine them one by one:
1. The worldwide emergency number for cell phones is 112.
Not quite. Throughout most of Europe and a few countries outside of the EU, dialing 112 will connect users to local emergency services. However, the number won’t work in North America, nor most of Asia and Africa. Many, but not all, cell phone models will allow special emergency numbers to be dialed even if the phone lacks a SIM card or the keypad is locked.
2. Press *3370# to access ‘reserve battery power.’
False. On some Nokia phones, users can punch in special codes and toggle between speech codec modes to 1) enhance voice transmission quality at the cost of diminished battery performance, or 2) enhance battery performance by decreasing voice quality. Apparently, some users have misconstrued the latter as “tapping into reserve battery power.” On that score the email is doubly erroneous because *3370# is the code for enhancing voice quality, so using it actually decreases battery life!
3. Make 411 calls on your cell phone without charge by dialing (800) FREE 411.
Basically true , though cell phone users may still incur a charge for minutes used, depending on the specifics of their plan.

1-800-GOOG-411 is another free one I use a lot. Even can get text messages from them sent to your phone with teh number and details of the place.

LOL at hidden battery power.

edit: LOL

TPGSR:
Edit: :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: