In the market for a used car.. A4, jetta Q's

[quote=“auttiquattro,post:17,topic:28621"”]

I am looking to get rid of my 97 A4 quattro for 5k if you are interested.

[/quote]

pm’ed

thanks for all the input, this is very helpful.

howie - i was going to ask about the AWD system. good know its up there in the ranks. :tup:

it seems like i’m going to stick with an a4, i just need to find one in good shape and for a good price. I love how the car looks, and they are definitly comfortable.

A4 is solid decently reliable car, has a bad rep but honestly they are truely good cars. And ride extremely smooth to boot.

now if any of you had a choice, would you go for the 1.8T or the 2.8?

i’m having a hard time deciding on whether or not I want a 5sp or not as well… but for a DD, i feel like I should stick with auto, but i want it to be fun to drive as well.

For reliability go with the 2.8 because you wont mod it. And if you plan to mod it get the 1.8T. Stock for stock you wont really feel the power difference IMO.

[quote=“01AudiS4,post:24,topic:28621"”]

For reliability go with the 2.8 because you wont mod it. And if you plan to mod it get the 1.8T. Stock for stock you wont really feel the power difference IMO.

[/quote]

really? I would have thought the 1.8T would be more reliable. I’m going to try my best not to mod but we all know how that goes. I’ll probably just throw some rims on it, do the suspension and just drive it. I can’t have this next car be a money pit like my last one…

Try to get a 2.8 sport.

2.8>>>>>>1.8t in terms of reliability

[quote=“vq30de,post:26,topic:28621"”]

Try to get a 2.8 sport.

2.8>>>>>>1.8t in terms of reliability

[/quote]

i might be checking one out in VA. it’s a pain in the ass finding these things locally…

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:22,topic:28621"”]

A4 is solid decently reliable car, has a bad rep but honestly they are truely good cars. And ride extremely smooth to boot.

[/quote]

I love my A4.
So smooth and quattro rules in the winter

[quote=“Daddie,post:16,topic:28621"”]

BTW, the A4’s Quattro is the greatest AWD system I’ve driven with, with the exception of an Audi 90’s quattro system with locking rear diff.

[/quote]

:smiley: especially if you cut the right wire that disables the feature that unlocks the rear diff at 15 MPH.

There are 2 different 2.8s that were offered, a 12V and 30V. The one big reason I’d lean towards the 12V is because the cam seals have a tendency to develop leaks around 100K and are an expensive part that is extremely labor intensive to replace on 30Vs.

If it were me though, I’d drive a 1.8t in an A4. It gets the best fuel economy by a decent margin, are reliable if properly maintained and with a few small mods they can get out of their own way. Stay on top of the timing belt and water pump, every 60K and oil changes every 5k with good synthetic and an OEM filter and they are a reliable car. Most of the horror stories you hear about 1.8ts usually involve a lack of maintenance. Don’t forget, 2.8s have a timing belt and water pump that need regular replacement too!

If you are thinking VW, a TDI is your only real option. 2.0s are gutless and you get bored with it really fast. The 2 versions of the VR6 are nice, but the 12V is a little short on power for the MK4 chassis, and fuel economy is only good on the highway. 1.8Ts are decent, but they have such a boy racer rep in VWs. Oh, and FWD sucks. The TDI is the only reason I still own a VW.

[quote=“93z24,post:25,topic:28621"”]

really? I would have thought the 1.8T would be more reliable. I’m going to try my best not to mod but we all know how that goes. I’ll probably just throw some rims on it, do the suspension and just drive it. I can’t have this next car be a money pit like my last one…

[/quote]

Negative, the 2.8 12v is a much simpler setup. Much less going on to go wrong, can handle a good deal of abuse. Modding it is useless though, but for a DD you can’t go wrong.

[quote=“93z24,post:27,topic:28621"”]

i might be checking one out in VA. it’s a pain in the ass finding these things locally…

[/quote]

thankfully i found a great one locally, took 2 months tho

[quote=“2point4z,post:31,topic:28621"”]

thankfully i found a great one locally, took 2 months tho

[/quote]

yeah i have 2 more weeks until I even get back into buffalo so hopefully something nice will pop up that isn’t too far away.

If youre interested, and can pay cash, I have a friend who can probably get you whatever you are looking for…

He is an auction junkie…

[quote=“vq30de,post:33,topic:28621"”]

If youre interested, and can pay cash, I have a friend who can probably get you whatever you are looking for…

He is an auction junkie…

[/quote]

dear god, pm’ed