Pittspeed Fitness & Nutrition thread update:

isolation exercises are “Single joint” movements like: PEC-DECK, INCLINE, FLAT or DECLINE FLYES, CABLE X’overs. as maybe try out a compund movement called a pullover to hit your chest in a new way. it does hit your back somewhat but its a good change of pace exercise.

and when im refering to the degrees or angles think of it like this: if you were to hold yours arms straight out in a FLAT bench fashion that would be a 90 degree angle to your body. An incline would be something greater like 110 or so and lastly a decline would be something smaller like 50 or 60 degrees. you can change that angles by adjusting the incline or decline of the bench you are pressing on. When you change the angle you are recruiting different fibers of the PEC because the PEC is broken into 3 parts: upper, middle and lower. so working all three parts will result in a stronger more full chest!

the other thing i wanted to mention is that when you start to go heavy on wider than normal grip bench press it puts some extra strain on your shoulder so watch jumping up in weight quickly!

a good way to determine the proper width for your hands when you bench press is by falling from a standing postition into a push up position. doing this will force your body into its “power” positon or whatever people want to call it. If you take the distance between your hands when you catch yourself you will have YOUR personal width that will be correct form for bench pressing. thats not to say that using a narrow or wider grip is incorrect. i personally dont even use barbells for chest anymore because ive seen greater gains with dumbells! heavy bench pressing would usually result in sore and tired shoulders and tris instead of a properly exercised chest. the dumbells however help my focus on my pecs

i have to run to the parts store for oil but when i get back ill explain a few plateu busters for chest!!

anything else just ask! :slight_smile: