Health Nuts Enter....

Pretty much gained weight this summer from drinking heavy carb beers and drinks daily in mass amounts on top of eating like crap.

Looking to lose it over the winter.

Already changed my diet and working out at least 3 times a week at the gym doing wights. Also working in cardio on off days doing any activity to get my heart rate up for 30-60 min.

My big questions are what is out there to help burn fat and keep metabolism up during the days? Also what is a good meal replacement in the mornings?

I am not looking to become jacked and lift 5x my body weight, just looking to burn fat and tighten up my chest, stomach, and waist.

Thanks

stop drinking, stop eating meat, eat less glycemic carbs (eat whole grain shit).

3 months = easy 20lbs with no effort

diet is your biggest factor for loosing weight

actually that sounds like a lot of effort. Drinking and eating meat are the most enjoyable calories.

Ya there is some things I do that I just am too young to give up but trying to make healthy choices to combat it.

I go out to lunch every day but do not eat fast food anymore. I will have a burrito at Moe’s or a Burger from Fudds but limit my fried food and high gylcemic foods like potatoes and corn.

I still drink but I only have 2 beers a week and substitute mixed drinks with no sugar (Vodka soda, Captain and diet, etc) when I am out.

I have no endurance so I am glad to get back into the gym. My cardio is no more than an hour of keeping a high heart rate and my weight workout is a hour too but works all the muscle groups in pairs. Just looking for any supplements that people have success with and how you substitute meals like breakfast and dinner.

well there is a big problem right there… don’t go out to lunch at those places…

alcohol still has a shit load of calories.

http://www.caloriesinalcohol.com/blog-detail/article/calories-in-alcohol/

7 calories per gram…

I picked up a shitload of Xenadrine and Rapidslim before they discontinued so those work really good on appetite for me. If I don’t have any even a big cup of coffee will knock my appetite right down for a few hours.

giving up meat is a hopeless cause for most. however, you can substitute fatty meats for lean ones like chicken and turkey.

the key to keeping your metabolism up is to eat 4 times a day, just in smaller quantities. Here is what I did

1. Healthy breakfast. Granola bar and a yogurt, with a coffee
  2. Lunch, turkey on wheat, something low calorie on the side (fruit is good)
  3. Mid-afternoon snack. 100 calorie snack-pack, slim-fast, yogurt, etc…
  4. Dinner. Turkey burger, some chicken, rice or sweet potatoe on the side.

I find coffee to be a good appetite supressent

you shouldn’t be supressing your hunger though. Just eat healthy stuff.

edit: Do you seriously not think that Fuddruckers and Moes don’t count as fast food? Start bringing your lunch to work.

Eh, I don’t like 80% of green vegetables and can only take so much chicken/turkey/tuna so I really have to limit my quantities if I want to eat good stuff and stay under my calorie limit.

you dont need to give up meat.

eat sensibly. grilled chicken / fish instead of red meat. smaller portions. its ok to be a bit hungry.

lots of water.

beer / alcohol will be a big enemy, again, be sensible.

Taking in some protein from a shake or something isnt a bad idea after a workout.

edit: limit sugar intake as well. Lots of fresh veggies. if you go salad, find a real low cal dressing (people who put ranch on a salad and think they are doing a good thing make me :picard: )

stay away from cheese if you can.

There are a million and one theories on weight loss. Here’s mine:

Just burn more calories than you eat.

Or eat fewer calories than you burn.

So you’ve got two sides to worry about: The intake and the outgo.

Watch the intake. It’s amazing how sauces and low quality high fat meat jacks up the calorie count in restaurant foods. Same with alcohol, pop, fruit juices, coffee creamer, etc.

Boost your outgo. Workout. Not just cardio, build muscle so you burn more calories all the time. Drink less alcohol, as it reduces your metabolism. Try to get a good night’s sleep every night.

As for meal substitutes, diy protein shakes. Careful though. Depending on how you do it a little yogurt, milk, whey, peanut butter, and banana can have you accidentallying 800 calories.

Trust me. If I followed my own advice I’d be in great shape. :tup: Wat? :roflpicard:

As for supplements, they scare me. I trust cows more than I trust chemists so I’d rather just eat right.

:rolljerk: :suckoff:
you must have pretty good aim

-6-8 meals a day. Nothing HUGE, just something to keep your metabolism running.

-If you do your cardio first thing in the morning, make sure you eat something real small to get your body ready to burn. Youll burn more fat during your session vs not.

-Lean meats are your friend. Fish, chicken thats grilled NOT fried.

-If you must drink, do in moderation and less frequently

-Do your cardio AFTER you lift, this will help keep your body burning fat well after the fact of your workout.

-After you lift, drink a protein shake… Yes you dont want to get HUGE, but youre building muscle, in turn, burns fat. The way to fuel the muscles to bigger gains is to give them protein it needs. Another trick is to have a small gatorade right after, or even a small rice krispys treat to go with your protein. This will help prevent insulin spikes and help the protein to get to your muscles.

-Decide whats more important, losing your weight or drinking. If youre serious, you need to give in order to gain.

Naw your mom spits into the blender.

I :tup: all of this.

Ya but 7 calories and < 1 carb in a shot is a lot better than drinking a lot of blue light which has 8 carbs and 111 calories IMO. Interesting how the body burns alcohol first before carbs and calories from food.

One more thing I forgot to add.

If youre going to the gym and lifting remember that muscle weighs more than fat. A lot of people get discouraged when theyve been working out for weeks but either stay the same or actually gain. Its normal.

Take a pic of yourself and then one about a month later. Youll SEE the difference

Ok you seem to know what you are talking about so here is my questions:

6-8 meals a day. Nothing HUGE, just something to keep your metabolism running. I am really stationary at work and not a morning person so I pretty much wake up, jump in the shower, and leave for work. What types of things do you suggest eating in the morning? Typically if you are awake from 7am to 11pm, what times do you typically eat?

After you lift, drink a protein shake… Yes you dont want to get HUGE, but youre building muscle, in turn, burns fat. The way to fuel the muscles to bigger gains is to give them protein it needs. Another trick is to have a small gatorade right after, or even a small rice krispys treat to go with your protein. This will help prevent insulin spikes and help the protein to get to your muscles. Any recommended protein shake?

Decide whats more important, losing your weight or drinking. If youre serious, you need to give in order to gain. Crap :frowning:

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1-Im a desk jockey too… It SUCKS… Normally I have my meals ready to go the night before.

Take a sunday and cook your meals for the day. George foremans are your friends. Get some frozen chicken breasts from wallyworld and some marinade packets so you can break up the blandness… Also they sell the steam in a bag veggies which are great to throw in the nuke machine.

Typically if im not doing PT in the morning, I have the following:

PLAIN oatmeal with maybe some blueberries or some brown sugar.
the Carbs in this arent bad, theyre long sustaining, giving you energy throughout the morning, plus the protein content is good.

banana

around 930, a small bit of almonds or a quick protein shake.

lunch time is chicken, canned tuna, some veggies, lunch meat, something small to keep you moving.

I like to think of your body as car with a carb on it… the more fuel you dump in, the more likely it will bog down and stall… the same way with your body… If you eat a huge lunch and dont move or burn it, you get tired and burn out.

around 1-2 usually an apple or something like that… again, something small to keep you going.

Before you lift something whole grain, wheat, or apple. Those slow burning carbs will give you energy throughout your workout so you dont crash through.

right after, protein!!! you can pick whatever you want, just make sure its not loaded with extra calories. I stick with the muscle milk 45g. its not as high in fat as the old stuff and is loaded with BCAA’s and other things your body needs to recoup. Another good one is Syntha six by BSN.

A meal around 6ish maybe 7… aagain just stay loyal to yourself. You can have a cheat day if you want, but anything more than that, it stops being a cheat, and starts becoming lunch.

2- i pretty much covered that in 1. its all in what you want. muscle milk(low fat kind) syntha six, EAS … Your body can only take in so much protein at once. I tend to go for the higher gram stuff just because your muscles may not get all 20 grams of the lighter stuff, id rather flush as much in and have my body spit out the rest.

3- you asked for advice lol

the human body as a carburetor is a great analogy!