iPod/MP3 Players

So today is a woot-off…not just one item a day. How often to they do this?

That looked liek a good deal…that one is on sale for $80 at best buy now…reg $100

i love woot offs!

they do it pretty much monthly? i don’t know… it used to be a lot more infrequent… they also have recently been going on for days where they didn’t used to!

So what does everyone think of refurbished items (electronics)? There are quite a few of them for good deals on e-bay…and it seems some of the items on woot are as well. In the past I have stayed away of these items because I never wanted to take a chance of dealing with any problems.

i bought two refurb sandisks with no issues… if it’s cheap enough a refurb is no big deal… ebay is sometimes scary, but woot will typically stand behind what they sell

I’ve never had an issue with refurbished items. I had a refurb’d head unit that worked fine and some other random stuff.

i bought the wifey an ipod refurb off of woot last week, came yesterday, works mint. I bought a 4gig something or other off of woot refurbed and it’s worked for the last year and a half without problems.

i have heard a few horror stories of refurbished stuff from tigerdirect, but i’ve never dealt with them to give you a first hand experience

My last week working for apple I got a free 30g video. Its refurbed and stays playing on its doc pretty much 24/7. Been like that for almost 2 years. I would say refurbs are fine.

Some end up out performing brand new products.

just buy my zune lol.

^^^ How much for the zune?

I am a little confused about how many songs you can fit on so much memory. I thought that a general rule was 512MB = 125 songs, 1GB = 250 songs, 2GB = 500 songs…etc. Well my brother gave me a 512 MB older MP3 player and I plugged it in on my computer and he had 209 songs on it. I am not sure how full it was but I thought that seemed like a lot for a 512MB player. I am not going to use it b/c he lost the charger…but just thought it was odd how many songs are on it. What I should have done when I was home was put them all in a folder and see how large the folder is.

It all depends on how big the file of the song is. If they’re short 1-2 minute songs, you’re probably looking at about 2-3mb each. If they’re all longer 3-5 minute songs. 4-5.5mb each.

One of my pet peves is when advertising, or someone says that a certain amount of space can fit this many songs. They have no idea how long or the quality of the music you listen to, so it’s all relative.

I’d say the average song is anywhere from 3-5MB in size. It also depends on what it is compressed down to and what file format it is in. Most mp3’s that I have are in 128kpbs which is hardly noticable sound loss, especially on computer speakers. That usually ends up being a file of around 1mb per 1 minute of music.

1MB - 1/1000th of a GB so 250 songs is about right for 1GB.

For me it all comes down to ease of use. The apple products, to mee, seem more user friendly. And I like the layout much better than some of the other units that just buttons that must be pressed in a certain order to do certian things.

They do. It really comes down to how long they hold a charge, and how easy they are to play the songs you want to hear. If you cant find the songs you want, it’s not really much better than a radio.

Example, my sons 80gig Ipod Video classic, will paly videos and/or songs for an average of 20+ hours on one charge. My 8gig I-River doesn’t get me through one day of grass cutting on a charge. (about 2 hours to cut grass) And the I-river has a brand new battery. The other battery was only good for about 30 minutes.

For me anything that doesnt start with an “A” end with an “E” with “PPL” in the middle.

Although, on a side not, I have heard nothing but good things about the Zune, from everyone that I know that owns one. And the Zune is much lighter than the Ipod Classic. Down side for me is Microsoft. I’m not a big fan of media player. Not a big fan of I-tunes either, but atleast I can make Itunes load my borrowed songs, where in seems to be more a PIA with media player.

exactly my point!

cheap

niceeee…on the list to be notified when the 30gig come in

Well I ended up ordering a refurbished Sandisk e280 8GB player shipped for $60. Seemed like a really good deal so we’ll see. Here are the details:

http://www.sandisk.com/Products/ProductInfo.aspx?ID=2057

Not too bad of a deal it seems like.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-fuze-mp3-player-8gb-silver-sandisk-sansa-fuze-8gb-flash/q/loc/111/207935941.html

8gb fuze for 80

:gives:

Damn…I just received my Sansa 8gb (e280) yesterday. I paid $60 shipped…which I guess I would have paid an extra $20 for the fuze. I am sure they are pretty much the same anyways.

i’m sure they are!

here is a 4gb today lol

http://www.woot.com/