Its about damn time...

Picked up a 350 short block today. Gotta clean it up a bit and it will be tits. debating weather to leave it a virgin block or bore it .30 over.

this seems like a very useless thread…

no pics? no questions? no useful information?

EDIT- and btw *whether lol

Excuse me for being excited. The block is sitting in the back of my car right now. I gotta wait to get it out when my old man gets home so I can take some pics. I asked a question lol…should I leave it a virgin block and just hone it out/clean it up, or have it bored out ad go a little bigger? What are the major advantages to both?

dont bore it unless it has a bad ridge at the top of the cyls.
This way you can rebuild it down the road.
You dont gain much by going .030 its safe to wait until the block needs it.
This way the block can be bored .030 on a rebuild later in its life.

damn…somehow i thought this thread had something to do with sex…

haha ok. Well you didn’t actually ask a question in the OP.

Get some pics of her. What is it out of? What are your goals over all for the car?

If you want all out performance, obv, go the extra mile and get the work done. Just a cruiser, maybe don’t waste the money.

Personally, I’d do the extra work if I had the money, since it’s out and naked anyhow.

Its an ealy 80s block out of a truck I believe. I got it off a buddy of mine at work for $75. It has alot of surface rust but it will come off easy enough and clean up nice. I don’t wanna do TOO much. My goal is around 375-400 rwhp or so. Enough to run mid-low 12s NA would be nice. I dont want to spend a fortune on the damn thing lol…its going to be a gradual build though. I’m gonna take the pistons out tonight and start cleaning everything up.

oh so its a longblock with heads and everything not a bare shortblock

Its a short block. Block, pistons, crankshaft. = Short Block.

Oh…

im assuming its a low compression being from an early 80’s truck

400rwp out of a non lt1 ls1 small block isnt going to be cheap.
400 crank hp would be more easily attainable.

if you want it to stay together, i reccomend a balance and blue print of the bottom end.
for that kind of power your looking at 11:1 - 12:1 pistons
Id say keep it under 12:1 so you can run on pump gas.
scrap cast iron heads totally if your trying to make 400 rwhp.
You’ll be spending at least 700 - 1150 on aluminum heads.
Intake wise, you should be looking at an intake to match whutever cam you choose Ie, same powerbands.
It is not cheap to build that kind of power.
your looking at 4000$ by the time your all said and done, with machine work.

Hmmm how much would it cost to run like 350 hp? lol.

ha, i had a 90 longblock i wuda sold ya for cheap since i got a new one to build

thanks for offering now that I already bought a shortty. lol. How much are you sellin for? I may know someone interested.

go .30 over and freshen it all up

How much does it cost to get and engine bored out?

between 320 - 350 whp id say probably $2000 - 3000$
Depends what you want done to the engine.
to get a block cleaned/check and a bore is around 500$
pistons depending on the style and which pistons are 150 - 700+
the rebuild kit is over 100$
it costs atleast 50$ to get your pistons pressed on the stock rods, or pressed on aftermarket rods.
if you go aftermarket rods, your looking at 500+ for rods.
between cam and lifters will be another 200+ depending on what you go with.

Heads can get really expensive fast, which is why alot of people go to aluminum heads.
Not to mention, if you want the bottom end balanced and bluprinted, that can be really expensive aswell.

at j and l its like 200 for a bore and hone

idk right now its just a block that needs machineing lol kinda useless now alhough its a 4 bolt main