Laptop recommendations.

Ok yeah i made a thread before but now im gonna be more specific about what i want so :gtfo: :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s the deal. My sis works for a big pc/electronics sales company and can get me a laptop at her cost + 2% from just about any manufacturer. :slight_smile:

I also have an inside source DEEP inside the nerd underworld that can get me a deal on some dell stuff. :snky:

WIth that said. Heres what i want. OBviously something with a good processor, but more importantly I would prefer 2 gigs of good ram and atleast an 80 GB HD. (preferably 7200rpm, but 5400 is ok too i guess) I also definitely need to have a good combo cdr/dvdr drive as well as firewire port and good wireless card. a card reader would be nice but not a necessity. I also would like to have a pretty good video card in it, not just some proprietary POS. :bloated:

It’s gonna be used for surfing the net and all that usual BS, along with school stuff and eventually tuning my car. I also will be getting into video editing so i want something that will run that was well as say for example photshop at the same tiem without breaking a sweat. Thats why i want a bunch of good ram, so it doesnt slow down if im trying to do a few resource heavy apps at one time. :tup:

Do you guys have any SPECIFIC recommendations? I am trying to start skimming down my search to specific models, but theres so much out there i dont know where to start. I also dont know whos good and reliable these days and who is crap. I just dont keep up with this shiz anymore like i used to back in the day. :gotme: But i need something that will be good to go for a few years down the road :tup:

I am open to any suggestions, so i could start having my sis hunt down some of her prices for me if i see something that i really like. I need to get this thing before school starts at the end of this month. :smash2:

Spanks everyone :hay:

dell xps

i work at the dell kiosk in the galleria, i can get you 5% of a laptop. doesnt sound like much, but im just throwing it out.

and yes, if you’re gonna get a dell, the xps systems would be the way to go. especially with what you wanna do

Ok thanks guys. I know the XPS models are nice. Let’s rule those out for right now. What else is good for what I want? How is Acer nowadays? They seem to have some nice laptops, but i dont know how good their hardware actually is. What about all the other brands, just looking for suggestions please :slight_smile: Throw out some models for me to look at :tup:

MacBook FTW

Sager,Dell,Alienware.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

Acer is so-so,the ferrari line is really pimp though.

it sounds really fucking cheessy and ungeek like, but look at places like Sams Club and Circuit city. Things like ram upgrades and a new Hard Drive are easy as well as cheap. As long as you get a semi-current gen Processor (NOT SEMPERON) at least an X2 or a core duo, most everything else will be the same.

Cheack out newegg for full system IDEAS, they’re generally way too expensive to jsutify a purchase, but like I said most upgrades are easy, especially if you can work on a car.

Who the hell is Sager? Rollin with Sager? :stuck_out_tongue: Anyways their shit looks and sounds nice, i will keep them in mind. And yeah i guess i wouldnt mind getting one and upgrading, but id rather get one that rocks socks right off the bat and just have a good setup from the get go. Thanks alot guys im gonna keep lookin

Acer is bomb

as in Acer is daaaa bommmmb (good shit)

or

Acer bombs (sucks)

my homeboy just bought an acer, i like it alot its a very nice system for the money :gotme:

i just bought an Inspiron E1705 from dell a few weeks ago, essentially when upgraded, its a XPS. all fully loaded, for 1500 after tax, shipping and everything (normally built would be 2400 or something rediculous). I think i have a 35% off coupon you can use, really saves you a lot. Check out slickdeals.net if you get a chance they have a buncha deals all the time in the forums, just search for dell. I would highly recommend that route. You probably cannot beat the price for what your getting.

all depends on how much your looking to spend.

oh, and i have had an alienware, was not happy with the customer support and im getting better performance with the dell now than i did before and im spending half the amount. your really only getting the name with them, my 2 cents.

<— Can help you with a Apple or a Sony BX series, or even a IBM/Lenovo

I have an Acer TravelMate and it is bomb (good shit)

i love my HP

I love my Toshiba (I have the Satellite m35 s456). I havent been all that impressed with the Dells that I have seen.

The Toshiba tru-brite screen is amazing, and the harmon kardon speakers are really good for a notebook.

I think these are the newer equivalent of the one I have…

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=HHO&coid=-30597

XPS cant be beat

Thanks guys ive got some stuff to look into here. :tup: I was checking out Acer’s site i may end up going with their piece. But that Toshiba redrum posted looks nice too, i might get something like that but a bit beefier. Thanks again :tup:

the “tru-brite” is pretty much the same for toshiba, compaq and dell. they all have it

Ended up getting the Acer 5672 WLMi for 900 bones. Pretty good deal i think for what its got. 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 120 GB HD, decent X1400 ATI video card, and a good combo drive. Should suit my needs just fine with not costing me that much :slight_smile: I was gonna go balls out and get the best of the best, but then i thought eh i just dont need that, and the tech moves too fast nowadays anyways. :tup: Ive been playing with this thing tonight and it hauls ass pretty damn good even loading multiple apps all at once.