Laptops

I know you said you didn’t want a 17" screen, but you can’t deny the value in this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892825&st=fx&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1211587727985

Use software to modify the fan speed.

Also, it’s not necessarily Toshiba but the CPU/Fan.

Anyhow, $2000? That’s nuts. I paid $488 SHIPPED for a Toshiba dual core AMD 2.0GZ/2GB/160GB mem/15.4" and it does the job just fine and I am a hardcore developer.

I have a hardcore desktop that I remote desktop into that has a ton of horsepower and is dirt cheap compared to high powered laptops. But, to each their own.

I just got an HP laptop (6910p to be exact) and so far its been great hardware wise (vista is another story tho).

Thru work (so like $500 off) I got a 2.6 Core 2 Duo, 4gigs of ram (doesn’t use it all cause im 32 bit right now, but hey, it came with it), 120gig hard drive, ATi x2300, a/b/g wireless, bluetooth, finger scanned (i love it for logging in), 14" lcd, and a docking station for $1370 shipped. The docking station is great, I have my widescreen monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, external drives, and sound system hooked into the docking station and I just plug the laptop into it and all of those connect at once. So I keep my ‘desktop’ setup, but can use the same computer everywhere.

Whatever you do, get the XP downgrade, so you can try visita, and if you have issues you can throw XP back on it.

Seriously, get a laptop with vista and start using it and getting used to using it, because once you get used to it, its hard to go back. Plus windows 7 looks almost identical and its going to be the shit.

vista ftw!

i just switched and i like it alot… granted, its not running my server but for everyday use its the shit.

my moms dell is a piece of crap its so slow but it also is 5 years old and thats what im stuck usin until i buy a new one again

XPS M140!!! LOL. Got this tight lil laptop when it first came out. 1gig of ram… all my friends thought I was a baller. I’d bring bitches over and they were like holy effin a, sweet laptop. Now its outdated, I realize that hahah. It’s 3 years old now and still runs like a champ. I’ve got no complaints about it… but the 1gig was a lil too low with windows media center and windows movie maker.

btw, apple comes out with a new laptop next week… Check that out.

I have used many laptops over the years, and used many Dells, back to the days when TwinHead produced many of them for them. Frankly, even though its an American company, I would not consider modt models they offer today.

For durability, you cant really beat Panasonics, but they cost too much for what you get, but superbly made, high quality.
For an everyday budget PC, Gateway is just getting back to good models for the money. Look at what they offer. The battery life on them is decent as well depending on processor.

Thats my few cents.

Check out ACER if u dont care wat it looks like etc

I really would give my input here but im too lazy :stuck_out_tongue:

Heard good things about ACER. i got a macbook this year,So far its been really good

ACER has budget and very pricey ones. They are one of my first choices.

Yeah, the ACER’s are making there way into a lot of homes/buisness …I still think battery life is somethign to be deisred with them but for the money they are great laptops.

Gateway like jammer said is starting to get back up there, but for awhile there computers were junk…

and Panasonics are an awesome machine, but are a bit pricey and are more for durability than anything else, we have a few of them here and we have a couple toughbooks as well, I want to run one over with a truck and see if it wins.

I have a compaq and it has been great.

It’s not necessarily Acer or whoever makes the laptop but the CPU/FAN configuration. Many people don’t realize that you should clean the fan port.

If you use a laptop with a desktop CPU, you should expect it to get hot.

Also, Vista has a much more advanced battery functions that a user can use.

ahah i didn’t think anyone was gonna agree with me on the acer shit, but thats cool :slight_smile:

I heart acer. They pwned Lenovo when they went to buy Packard Bell. Lol.

Wasn’t acer considering to buy Gateway ?

Anyways the laptop shown in the link above sounds really good to me, 4gb DDR3, mobile cpu core 2, 9800 mobile gfx, etc etc 17 inch thats a good deal for 1500 bucks

I love my Dell XPS 1210. Ive dropped it by accident 6+feet multiple times, not a single thing wrong with it.

Its quite the performer as well !!

how about hp?

I love my HP, the only part that sucks on it is Vista, but you can get them with the XP downgrade.