Laptops

Im probably going to be buying a laptop in the near future so im looking for some opinions on what i should buy. I want to spend around 2000 or less. My dell right now is a piece of shit so i want to get away from them unless someone has a really good argument as to why i should get another dell.

Depends on what you will be using it for, but check out some Toshiba’s.

mainly just school and stuff like that… nothing intense

up

u get what u pay for but luckily u can get somethin decent for that price range !

Whatever you get, make sure it’s equipped with Windows 95.

what dell do you have right now? maybe i’ll take it off your hands… i just modded my 3 year old dell and it runs pretty decent now. been a good machine for me.

inspirion 6000

what would you recommend?

I would actually recommend against Toshiba only on the sheer fact that they’re tend to overheat and fry MB’s easily. Had a few in the past that went toasty, even with coolpads below.

I personally like my Alienware, but I tend to do alot of CNC graphics on Solidworks and thus my only need for it…

damn 2k is quite the laptop budget. I’ve got an old Dell I bought for $400 used and it’s been a champ. Had a Macbook Pro for a little while too - those are cool computers too (although it runs hotter than any pc laptop I’ve ever used), but after after almost everyone I know w/a mac laptop has had some kind of hardware problem (plus the extra cost), I tend to steer away from macbooks.

Give us some more info though - you want a huge 17" laptop? one of those little asian tiny ones? There’s nothing special you’re looking for?

yah… my motherboard went on my dell, cost me 500 bucks to fix

+1 for alienware

I just got a Dell XPS1330…So far it’s great, it was like $1,3xx after my school’s discount. Everyone else I know that has a Dell XPS loves them.

I want something more in the middle, my mom has a huge laptop and i cant stand it. Mines a 15 inch and thats a pretty good size. I want the thing to be lightning fast and i want a solid warranty, i learned my lesson on that.

yup, samething happened to my sister’s, twice. 2nd time with the aftermarket fans underneath too.

My 15" Toshiba has been on for the past year and so far no real issues. My headphone plug locked so speakers no longer work because the computer constantly thinks there is headphone plug in. Other then that and typical slow down due to viruses and lack of maintenance it’s been great.

Just make sure you don’t buy from CompUSA with a warranty, oh wait I was the last guy to do that :idiots

pm me on that dell. If that has the 915 chipset i might snag it from you. I need the processor and graphics card specs specifically.

Alright,

Well, Adam is right… Toshibas are notorious for overheating, I have a few friends that had toshibas and had problems caused by overheating and Toshibas support was anything but efficient. All in all he did not have a laptop for 2 months.

Alienware are still great mobile powerhouses, but you would never catch me buying one, mainly because Alienware is now Dell, and well I have a can’t stand dell due to there lack of customer support, not saying they don’t have any, but personally over the past 2 years it has gotten horrible, even to the point to where at work we are no longer a Dell house, were slowly switching everything over to Lenovo.

Yes, the Dell XPS is a great machine, I used to have one , but again it’s Dell and that wonderful “special” XPS support number is great when you have it, but even that is slowly starting to go downhill.

Now it all depends on what you want in a laptop. If you want something that is a desktop replacement and can do pretty much anything under the sun your limited to

-Dell XPS
-Alienware
-Falcon Northwest

Now, HP is getting into the laptop powerhouse market, but they don’t meet all the demands of todays gamers/powerusers

Falcon Northwest is not a company you hear a lot about, but they are a small solid company and have a huge market for gamers, but they are very expsensive, but very solid!

If you want something for you basic day to day activitys i’d go with

-HP
-Lenovo

Just like Falcon Northwest stated above Lenovo is a solid machine, they came out of the closet awhile back and announced they are the company that provides IBM with their laptops. Although I do not know much about there average customer support, their buisness support is great. They are a bit pricier and there customization is not anything like Dell, HP etc. but you wont be dissapointed

With that being said, its all up to you as in what you want for a machine.

must depend on the warranty you get… i got the 2 year in house repair replacement and they were fucking excellent. they had put a screen in one time, and another time come out for no sound and replaced the speakers. when that didn’t fix it (like i told em) they put a motherboard in it. Thing has been awesome since then knock on wood. I love it. I just took it apart and yanked my ol 1.86ghz and put a 1.7 oc’d to 2.26 and added another gig of ram. runs alot better. i mainly did it so she’d be alittle quicker with vista. i have to say though if i bought another one i’d seriously consider another dell. they were fucking EXCELLENT with the warranty. all the parts were shipped to my house in under 3 days from the call and the tech was here as late as 8pm to work around my then crazy work schedule. I can’t say enough good about there customer service. I never called though, I always did it online through the chat. :slight_smile: HPs customer service is bullshit so i here. go do a search over on consumerist.com i guess alot of people are getting there laptops lost when they send them in for repair??? I dunno, I love their laptops look and feel though. My brother has a new hp and every time he brings it over i get all jealous and shit. lol … his is brand new though… and my 3 year old slightly modded dell is only .8 win experience points behind him hehe.

If you are into gaming, Gateway has the FX series. Best Buy carries them, currently they only have the 17" model. It’s a 1920x1200 display with a P8400, 4gb DDR3, 9800GTS 512MB, 200GB 7200RPM HDD. It’s well under 2k, normal price is 1449 and the sale price gets much closer to 1k.

Fuck Alienware.