Opinions on Laptops?

Im in the market for a new laptop. Tryin to get some opinions from people who use all manufactures. Doesnt have to be anything spectacular. Its gonna be used mostly for tuning cars and internet. So no need for bulky widescreen or any of that other fancy shit. Nice lightweight and reliable. Budget around 800-900 bucks.

I had 2 sonys :down: one alienware :down: and one toshiba.

I love the toshiba and the price isnt that bad

i love my HP.

I have one of your Sonys. haha

Ive got an HP as well. I paid 850 for that, the photo printer, and a digital camera package (camera isnt that great, but I didnt expect it to be). Computer is great but kinda bulky for what you are looking for. My roommate has a dell one thats tiny but I think its out of your price range that you are looking for.

I have had 4 Apple’s. All perfect.

Go get a Mac!

I’ve had 3 dells, all great, One sony (biggenst waste of money ever) and An IBM I used for tuining only, it worked pretty well also.

No problems with my HP. we use Dells @ Expedient, I havent seen anyone break one in the almost year ive been there.

I LOVE my Toshiba laptop, and Apple’s seem pretty good. I haven’t had any experience with Sony laptops, but I’ve had a lot of other Sony things and are very durable/reliable.

I got my Toshiba 4-5 years ago and every once in a while I run my spyware program, and defragment and the only problem I had was my hard drive went bad once, sent it away and they replaced it no problem. I also never restore or anything like a lot of people I know and I have no problems what so ever. I do a lot of video editing as well with no problems. My only complaint is my battery life SUCKS. With a full charge and the screen all the way dim it will last no longer than a hour MAX. This is probably because it has a huge (I forget if it’s 17 or 19 inch) widescreen screen and the technology is from 5 years ago.

Anyhow, good luck! Go find some different forums (Apple/Toshiba/HP/etc.) and see if they seem decent or junk.

www.clearanceclub.com

sold all of them…sony you pay for the name mostly but their machines don’t seem to be too bad…gateway has decent ones but you have to get the ones towards the top of the line…hp i actually own one…was great until the fucking charging port went bad but it’s under warranty.

Compaq’s / HP’s plug where the charger plugs into the laptop’s are notorious for breaking, and it’s a pain in the ASS. Especially if you do it yourself. I’m damn good with a soldering iron, but it’s a pain to take the fucker apart. Stay away!

my sony did the same thing

hp/compaqs are more prone to do it…for years they’ve been this way ftl

Any opinions on Acer?

The keyboard layout on the new ones suck. It has a curve to it that makes hitting incorrect keys more problematic.

I don’t think that Acer are supposed to be any good. I think they are the cheap crappy computers that you can get at walmart. I think Acer is one of those brands where when something goes wrong with the computer you may as well just throw it away cause they are so cheap. I have only ever used Dells. My wife has had the same one for the last 4 or 5 years and it runs great and my sister just got one about a year ago and it is awesome.

Stay away from Toshiba hard drives, which Toshiba uses… P.O.S. Too many have died in my experience.

The higher end Acers are nice. I have a Emachine, but it has a few issues that I have been too lazy too fix:embarass: I am waiting to get another 1GB RAM chip to add before I fix the screen cable issue.

hp is my favorite. ibm is a close 2nd, and the rest of them suck balls