Let's build a PC...

I was scrolling through newegg and realizing how outdated my pc has become. I slapped together a wishlist not paying too much attention to price, mostly just compatibility and user reviews.
As follows:

I’m sure that comparative quality and performance can be had from different brands of hardware for a lesser cost…

What would you do differently? What would your build look like that would be = or > this for less money?

So the goal is a moderate-good gaming rig that stays relatively quiet and cool without needing an irrigation system running through my house.
(if, for example, vegas 2 could be played on max settings without hiccups that would be adequate)
The OS will most likely be XP.
I don’t NEED 2 vid cards, but I do want SLI compatibility as an option (on both the video card and MoBo, obviously).
Don’t worry about monitors, keyboards, etc.
I don’t need TBs of storage, I already have external storage, so the HDD should be more focused on performance than size.

u can drop that corsair ram and get Gskill, alot cheaper and just as good. Plus its full ddr2 speeds, not 800.

I would also drop that seagate and get the 7200.11 series, i have 3 of them and they fly, i did have an issue with one of them tho requiring a RMA, but the problems are now all fixed.

1 GTX 260 > sli 9600’s and around the same price, plus leaves you room to sli it later in the future. and if you get 2 2GB kits of ram, you can run dual channel. but xp only sees 3GB’s on my setup out of the 4 i have in there. and hard drive size has a more or less direct relationship to the performance. (ie. 1 TB is faster than 500GB due to platter density)

do you really want a quad core?

Im using a E8400 @4ghz and it rocks for games. Very easy Overclocker with air cooling, much more with liquid.

I don’t care if it’s quad or not, if i can still get really good performance.

Also, The g.skill you mentioned, i’m not finding anything cheaper via newegg. Similar specs for similar prices.

If you could show me some links to what you’d use as opposed to what i have listed, that would be awesome.
:slight_smile:

Ditto on that e8400 for gaming, it’s awesome. even at stock speeds

Oh i wasn’t aware that the capacity would actually positively influence the performance. Good to know.

is this the beloved e8400 you speak of?

Well the E8400 should be cheaper than the quad

Thats the memory i have.

Ok, that processor is 20 bucks cheaper and has great reviews.
The ram would actually be a little more expensive if i were to get 4gb…but the speed is 1066 as opposed to 800… so in this case, would 2gb 1066 out perform 4gb 800?

i only have 2 gig, and its plenty for me, thats a preference tho. My MOBO supports the 1066 speeds so it made sense to grab it.

plus it OC’s very well.

ok, so the mobo i have listed is as follows:
Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR2 800
Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
Dual Channel Supported Yes

so i couldn’t use that ram, right?

p.s. i’m not set on this mobo either, anything can be changed around.

Also i’m trying to budget this down without too much performance sacrifice. So far i’ve gone up 40 dollars with the recommended changes. haha…

I think it will work but not at the 1066 speeds, but dont quote me on that, im not sure if its backward compatible.

ddr2 800 w/ low latency’s will outperform ddr2 1066 w/ higher latency’s. if the latency is the same, you wouldn’t notice much of a difference. if you plan on overclocking then you should get the faster ram so your not hardware limited when you do overclock.

I don’t know toooo much about overclocking, aside from what my current Mobo bios settings allows me to do, along with ATI overdrive stuff.

From reading another thread on here, It looks like the PSU listed is some serious overkill.
thoughts on that?

i dont think a good PS is ever overkill

Being a combo, it might be hard to get a good PSU and keep w/ in your budget. And i wouldn’t consider that rosewill a highend PSU(still a good PSU though) so it won’t be overkill and it will leave you w/ plenty of room for future upgrades

Ok sounds good.

I’ve found a bunch of the gtx 260 cards… all around the $269 mark.
That sound about right?

sounds about right. i went w/ an evga for the mail in rebate, customer service, and overclocking capabilities

Or you can get one of these and be done with it.