Look at my new car!!!!!

In!

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Gold chains?!? These are Porsches not Ferraris! :slight_smile:

In for the top gear meet, and too late on the never have children bit, 3 out of the 4 of us already have them.

X…

Hey do any of you other Porsche guys have the Durametric cable and software? I plan on buying it unless someone on here has it.

really nice motors in those until they explode - I kid, but seriously, I just got my class action law suit paperwork as a 3 time M96 owner (i.e. - Porsche knew the M96 was a piece of shit but kept selling it from 1997 to 2008).

PASM?

Fucking vw’s

PASM is standard equipment on the S.

You exploded 3 motors?

I’m an idiot. Bashing my head for believing that, playing the violin for the fail and face palming after all is done.

No sympathy needed. lol

lol
you should send that to him, and others in NYS, put it on chan 2 also

Nice Beetle.

No. I owned 3 P-cars with an M96. All owners of an M96 engine car received notification of the class action lawsuit against Porsche for the IMS failures - because Porsche knew but did nothing to fix it.

Same with the air oil separators. That was neato when on-track my S blew a plume of smoke out the back large enough to blot out the sun and the info display said “SEE MECHANIC IMMEDIATELY”.

Most 997 cars have M97 engines, my 2005 does

X…

I hate to rain on your new car parade… but google “IMS bearing failure”. Keep in mind that obviously people who never had issues tend not to post online saying, “my car has been great” but the number of complete engine failures due to IMS failure is alarming to say the least. What’s especially concerning for you is the failures seem to happen more often on cars that are babied and rarely driven.

If it was a case of it failing and leaving you stranded until you could swap it for the $650 LN upgrade it wouldn’t be a big deal, but when it fails it takes the whole engine with it. Ideally you swap it when you do the clutch since you’re 95% there in labor anyway, but then you’re rolling the dice on an 18-20k engine replacement. After doing tons of research on it the whole thing was enough for me to cancel my plans to trade the GTO in on a Boxster this spring unless I can get into an 09 or newer where they eliminated the IMS entirely.

Again, sorry to bring this into your awesome new car thread. It really is an awesome car. But now that you have one that historically has been especially susceptible to this failure it’s something you’ll want to educate yourself on. If it was me and it was an earlier 05 where you can swap the bearing without splitting the case I’d have the LN Engineering IMS upgrade done just so I could enjoy the car without constantly listening to every little noise wondering if the motor was about to pop.

EDIT Xander is right about it happening less on the revised IMS, but it definitely still happens too much. And the revised IMS is impossible to upgrade without splitting the case and incurring major costs.

or you could just trade it in for a turbo

Turbo motors don’t have this problem?

^^^^Oh, good to know. So I should look for a plume of smoke pretty soon?

This is depressing.

So the LN Engineering is different than the revised set up? Found it. http://www.theimssolution.com/

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Tell me about it. lol

I will buy it from you if you are unhappy with your purchase…1 Dollar…too much risk of kabooms :lol:

The IMS Solution is new since when I was looking into this (just came out spring of 13). Pretty cool how they’ve eliminated the IMS bearing completely. I’d want to hear some reviews with 20k+ miles before I tried one though.

JayS is pretty much trying to get you down to a good price on this.

There is already a guy in Minnesota who will pay more than I did. :slight_smile: Of course I did just pay Erie county tax on it which makes the investment that much larger.:puker: