LT1 headers?

I’m sure many people have already asked this question but what headers are the best choice for an LT1, long tube or short tube and why? As far as I know long tubes give great top end but rob low and torque and shorties are great for torque but don’t help out the top end much at all. Besides all of this does the cat back setup you use have much to do with the way the headers will work and what is better, 2.5" or 3" or maybe even another size. I know this is probably a stupid question but either way I’d like to know before I get into doing such a time consuming and expensive mod.

The general consensus is going to be long tubes. However, there are a lot of guys running 350s with mid lengths at power levels above (sometimes well above) 400 flywheel. I have Jet Hot coated MACs and was happy with them (close to the AS&M mids but with better plug access)). I’ve heard the low end/top end debate and have seen a lot of examples that support arguments either way. Now that I have a 383 I’m considering going long tube.

And I would go with the 3" cat back over the 2.5".

Most header manufacturers will have a y pipe that will mate up to your cat back system.

hooker long tubes

Jeff, if you decide to sell the MAC’s let me know.

Slow, if you are going to lower your car (or already have), avoid long tubes as they will just scrape, and may get flat-spotted.

x2

Good point, my car is lowered.