Mac Desktop People

Anyone have a new iMac?

It has been a while since I owned a desktop but really have been getting into Steam gaming again so looking for a All In One PC for a new home office that allows me to keep the OSX environment that I need while also getting back into running games on Steam.

Anyone use these things to play games? What processor/RAM setup do you have? I was looking at the i7 with 4GB of RAM in the 27" or the 21.5" i7 with 8GB of RAM. The good news is these are expandable so you aren’t locked in to memory.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select

Not having dual monitors scares me :-\

You can run a 2nd external. Not having 3+ screens scares me. LOL

If you don’t need a new mac for what you do, you could always get a cheap $500-800 pc that will run everything that is on Steam.

If you go to the higher inch screen (27") you are going to want to go with the i7 in the 3ghz range and the 6970 graphics option they are offering. Running the games at less then the native resolution is going to look crappy and since that 27" has a way higher native resolution you can’t really skimp on it.

I’m pretty sure mine is still the newest model. It’s the base 21.5 with quad-core i5 at 2.5GHz. Upgraded to 12GB RAM.

Fucking love the thing. Flies through photoshop, illustrator, iMovie, etc… I don’t play games on it though, so I can’t speak to that.

LZ, I am pretty sure it’s got a mini display port to add a second monitor.

Thunderbolt which is Apple mini DV adapter compatible.

They have a i7 out now I think. The mini display port allows me to hook up a second monitor but if I get the 27" one, I don’t really need a second monitor. If I get a 21.5" one, I would want another 21.5" Apple display which I don’t think they sell so will need to settle for a 3rd party one.

I don’t see an i7 iMac on the website, but maybe it’s an upgrade option.

Yeah, looks like they only sell the Cinema Display in 27". That’s interesting.

My wife just switched jobs, but at her last job she had a 27" iMac and she loved the size. I suspect she would tell you there is no need for 2 monitors on it (I would argue that lol). And she’s the photoshop/illustrator nerd in my house.

I’ll tell you though, that you DEFINITELY want to upgrade the RAM regardless of what you go with. It is A LOT faster with 12GB of RAM. Best $40 you can spend on it.

Ya I know a lot of people that use a 27" and think its fine. The second screen is helpful but not a must and def are not locked into only one display with the mini port out the back. I glanced at their home page and saw the i7 icon. You are right, upgradable option on the higher end 21.5 and 27" versions. It has been a while since I have been out of the hardware game, is the i7 worth the upgrade?

“Configurable to 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7”
“Configurable to 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7”

CTO only if you want i7. I’d just go with a PC tower for that price personally.
iMac being integrated and slim have heat issues and are often dead in the water when one component goes. I support many iMac’s at work…we’ve had several HD and optical drives die, heat related I’m guessing.

So my issue is this then I need to buy another Apple 27inch monitor so they match :lol:

$$$$$

Couldn’t tell ya if it’s worth it. We’re cheap, so we went with the base model lol.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Yep, you’re looking at a cool G for the 27" cinema display.

It would be a fucking baller setup though.

You can run two external displays on a iMac. The Thunderbolt ports function fine as mini displayport, you can also obviously daisy chain two additional Thunderbolt displays off it.

That being said, do not buy one right now unless it is a absolute necessity. They are due for a Ivy Bridge refresh imminently. http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac IF you do choose to buy a current one, go to the refurb store, don’t pay for a new model.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

i7 is a BTO (Build to Order option) only

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

While TB Displays and there Mini DP predecessors were pricey if you compare to other 27 IPS panels they are in the same bracket, with only Dell and HP IPS beating them on price.

Provided you don’t need thunderbolt for anything other peripheral you can run 1 external display off the 21 and 2 off the 27.

Didn’t realize the 21.5" model only had one thunderbolt display. Theoretically you can in fact drive two additional displays on it, since the TB chips in the iMacs have two displayport channels. I had been hoping we would see TB hubs which broke out those. Closest thing is this… http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/9/2690454/belkins-thunderbolt-express-dock-will-finally-go-on-sale-this-summer

I’m anticipating thunderbolt gear as well. We do a fair amount of target mode and thunderbolt screams on the transfers! Saves a ton of time over even firewire800. :slight_smile:

My dumbass would think it would be more cost effecive to pay the extra $500 and get another 27" iMac than buy just a display. haha

Interesting thought.

While we are on the desktop talk. I will have a second bedroom in my new apartment that I am planning on turning into a home office. Anyone have suggestions for a desk/corner desk that provides good room for work but not giant?

Ikea Galant