Making Custom Sway bars - what should I know?

I can get my hands on some s14 OE sway bars (f & r). A friend of mine works at a shop, and says he can make us custom sway bars, for a fraction of the price. I figured I can use the OE bars as a template, and just use some good heavy duty, thick bars, and get my hands on some nice bracket bushings (I ordered some energy suspension, so I’ll try those).

Is there anything else I should keep in mind when designing these bars. And I will offer them to son members, after I have driven on them for a while (does anyone wanna donate OE s13 bars, I’ll give them back once I am done with them?)

all comments are much appreciated.

diameter ratio front to back, flex of material used…mounting geometry

make the fronts like 100% stiffer than stock, and the rears 135% stiffer than stock, with custom endlinks.

i could be intrusted in some s13 sways, i really cant afford whitelines

Id be in forsure.

I’d be definately in. Whiteline from PDM is $330USD (front+rear) plus
shipping (lookin at almost $500CDN delivered).

And well worth it. But hey if Paul can hook us up for cheaper why not.

the hard part will be getting them to flex without weakening over time, or cracking. Im not sure the heating/bending process used, or the materials, but you definatly have your work cut out!

if you look at whitelines logo saying they last longest… im guessing lifetime is a normally overlooked problem that should be addressed…

yah you better make sure this guy knows what he is doing because i have seen some horror stories from when people have tried to make their own sway bars (the “custom” sway bar looked like a pretzel after a very short while). But if this guy can really make a quality product i would be interested.

ya if i could get some guarantee that they are not going to fail im in

See I tried to find whether Suspension Techniques made sways for 240s
or not but couldn’t. Well guess they do. Know any local suppliers?

ST’s front/rear are roughly $270USD and Whiteline’s are $330USD.
Obviously a big price gap, although I haven’t heard about people’s exp.
with the ST bars.

i have had suspension techniques sway bars on my car for 12 years…

WOW, on your 240?

my friends dad has made sway bars for people for years now. From what I hear, there are no complaints. I figure if i trace the OE sway bar, fitment shouldn’t be an issue. He is good with metals, and should be able to help me narrow down a rigid, sturdy metal, which will be good at handling the elements (not sure if i am gonna park my car this winter or not).

I will be personally testing all bars, before selling them to you guys. If one or 2 people wanna help me out with testing, thats fine, but I am not going to make my first bars, and then shoot off my mouth and sell them to you guys without actually driving with them for a while.

Sway bars are a little pricey, and i am just trying to save a little money, pass the savings on to you guys, and kill some time while i am at it (i have alot of time on my hands at the moment).

I am not asking for everyones support, so if you don’t like my idea, or don’t have anything worth reading to add, then please keep your comments to yourself, it really isn’t helping me any. I realise the whiteline bars are terrific (haven’t heard much on the ST bars). Again, this is a little personal project that I only recently decieded to make public with you guys.

thanks for all the help, I am planning to use the energy suspension end links on my vehicle (it came in the kit, $150), with some modifications of course. Don’t have a quote on a price for the bars yet, but it will be alot cheaper than anything currently on the marlket. If one or 2 other 240’s want to help me test them, I will help in the modifiaction of the OE brackets/ bushings (or I’ll just modify my old ones and pass them on).

Any suggestions on a good alloy/ metal?

thanks again guys, I’ll keep you all posted (my internet was down all last week, sorry to take so long in replies).