Mazda Protege5

Well I think I want to get rid of the Maxima for something a little newer and more nimble…I was looking at soem Protege5s and I really like them…any one have any thoughts…opinions…experiences…general comments or Idea of something similar in size in price range…i was also considering a Impreza 2.5rs

my mom has one… really nice car…

unrelated story, my dad was driging it a while ago and the top rad hose sprung a leak and the motor overheated and popped, i was able to get a used motor for 350 bux… so the parts are cheap!

Manual or Auto…i would need a Manual

i have owned two of them, great cars, and even tho i have th sti now…i wish i would have kept one of my 5’s

just watch for noise coming from the intake, the plates in there like to come loose and make their way into the heads, had that happen on one of mine, mazda was nice enough to give me a new engine though :slight_smile:

good handling for a wagon, not bad power, and roomy too :slight_smile:

My fiance’s got an '03 Protege she bought new. Same car, only sedan instead of wagon. The only problem she’s had is that she had to replace the front pads and rotors after the first winter and the rear pads and rotors after the second winter. Siezed both times. I guess these cars don’t take kindly to girls who don’t wash their cars in the winter.

She’s at like 35k now. She doesn’t even notice it, but the clutch chatters.

I just had to replace the battery, but it was 3 1/2 years old. :gotme:

It’s been a good car. The brake problem probably could have been prevented and hopefully the clutch won’t get any worse. It’s a blast to drive. Slow, but handles and brakes really well. I would imagine you’d have more luck autocrossing a P5 than a Maxima.

I like it. I’d recommend one. :tup:

[quote=“Skurge,post:4,topic:24770"”]

just watch for noise coming from the intake, the plates in there like to come loose and make their way into the heads

[/quote]

Details?

i am assuming the intake has butter fly valves for dual runners…there was an IM manifold for maximas u could buy that did the same thing

i drove one not too long ago, for what it is its pretty nice actually, and i liked the feel of the interior. i could see myself getting one for a daily when they come down a lil in price

[quote=“Adictd2b00st,post:8,topic:24770"”]

i drove one not too long ago, for what it is its pretty nice actually, and i liked the feel of the interior. i could see myself getting one for a daily when they come down a lil in price

[/quote]

u drove mine jay :stuck_out_tongue: like a couple days after i got it hah

and yea as for the plates, there’s the system VCTS i think it was, anyway there’s 4 plates in the intake that open and shut, only held on by one screw each, its common for the screw to come loose into the head and so does the plate, happened at idle for me, sitting in the turning lane and the car died, started it back up to hear horrid grinding/metal to metal noises

i just went and tried to find the TSB but i couldn’t find it on alldata

oh yea, there is a way to remove those plates and its not too hard, just need a MP3 ECU and modify the intake mani some

meh get an evo.

here’s my two :slight_smile:

http://www.sonikempire.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Picture_028.jpg

http://www.sonikempire.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Picture_055.jpg

what springs are on the silver one

they were GC coilovers with eibach springs, the silver one was also gutted completely behind the front seats, handled amazing :slight_smile:

imo grab an 02.5/03 if you can, the 02’s had crappy looking rims

edit:

here’s a better pic of the stance:
http://www.sonikempire.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Picture%20010.jpg
it looks uneven, its just the wheel wells, the height was the same front to back

if you end up getting one, i might have some parts still laying around if your looking to turbo it :snky:

I’ve always liked those

what are they running price wise right now?

[quote=“Skurge,post:13,topic:24770"”]

they were GC coilovers with eibach springs, the silver one was also gutted completely behind the front seats, handled amazing :slight_smile:

imo grab an 02.5/03 if you can, the 02’s had crappy looking rims

edit:

here’s a better pic of the stance:
http://www.sonikempire.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10026/normal_Picture%20010.jpg
it looks uneven, its just the wheel wells, the height was the same front to back

if you end up getting one, i might have some parts still laying around if your looking to turbo it :snky:

[/quote]

no turbo for me…prolly just intake and exahust…if the wheels are 5x114.3 i got that covered too

yup i think 5x114.3 if i remember correctly

eh too bad, i have factory MSP intercooler sitting around doing nothing lol

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?rdpage=thumb&car_id=214143223&dealer_id=6186639&car_year=2002&model=PROTE5&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=used&distance=200&make=MAZDA&color=&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=14227&advanced=&end_year=2007&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=134

Not bad for a wagon i guess but i think the maxima is a much better all around car, but GL with w/e you deicide to get. i think the spec V would be more fun that you mentioned in the other post. But if you are set on a wagon why not wrx? can get those around $12,000

i am still looking around…i actually just decided to do this last nite…so…i am open to suggestions…doesnt have to be a wagon