MclarenGP VS DeathbyRT (split)

why are BOV’s overrated?? and btw, idc how tough a turbo is, when all of that boost has nowhere to go and your compressor wheel stops on a dime things get ugly quick. i just think its a very dumb decision to not have one.

That turbo doesn’t give a fuck, it’s a diesel turbo with a shaft the size of Ron Jeremy. There are factory turbo vehicles without a BOV or DV as far as I know. No, I’m not talking about diesel either.

you’re right…

yeah i believe grand nationals dont come with bovs, but why not have one tho? if its a matter of like 50 bucks, why not put one there? its cheap insurance. does your turbo have a ported shroud/ anti surge comp housing??

WAM PSHHH WAM PSHHH

most cars that dont come with b.o.v,s are a automatic trans car and thats cause the trans shifts isntantly so the boost pressure wont fluctuate much . . but any stick car reguardless of boost levels should have one

FAWK

ARSE

i believe so

yup. and the few stick cars that did have them ran very low boost. go ahead and run without one, im not saying you cant, im just saying thats it would be in your best interest to buy one. you’d only be extending the life of your turbo.

I have heard that they are not necessary under 10# but it couldn’t hurt. The compressor wheel is aluminum and that steel turbine wheel has a lot of momentum behind it at 60k rpm.

I let off everytime I shift. Motor or bottle.

hey quick question for anyone on MLS head gaskets, i will be using arp head studs, i was recomended .045 instead of .060 (stock) to supposedly help detonation /high compression spikes… I was thinking going thicker like 0.066 or .070 for boost but maybe this guy is right? Also copper spray wasnt recommended for a new gasket but i see lots of people using it so i probably will anyway.

a thinner gasket will raise comp and ad to detonation and whatnot lol . for high boost levels like yours without a built lower end id run a thicker gasket

all the thickness is doing is for the most part adding and subtracting volume to your combustion chamber and affecting your compression ratio. if you want to help with detonation, then get a thicker gasket to slightly lower your static compression. a thinner one would raise it. although it is not a large increase/decrease in comp, it is however an extra precaution.

dunno why this guy is trying to sell me thinner… starting to think he doesnt know wtf hes talking about. its the guy from 60"v6 wot, seems like he should know his shit, said for boosted gen2 aluminum 3.1 , the .045 will seal better than the .060.

here are his emails

Ok stock is .060" thickness. I wouldn’t run a thicker gasket, and in fact you could run a .045" thick gasket for better quench, which trumps the slight increase in compression when it comes to detonation resistance. Are you using ARP head studs as well?

copper spray is not needed on a fresh MLS gasket. When you start reusing it, it might need to be sprayed depending on its condition. ARP head studs will give more clamping force on the gasket and more even load. Plus they are reusable like the gasket. .045 is better for NA or boost on a gen 2 3.1 motor.

the thinner the gasket compressed will help in sealing , no doubt on that buttttttt a thicker gasket will aid in detanation and whatnot .

ok great thanks! now i just have to decide. i wouldnt mind lowering the cr a little but i also dont want to be pressurizing the coolant system in 2 days, might go with his .045 rec

Guess what…email guy is right! Run the .045 gasket. Yes, I’m serious.