mid ohio track day

I just arrived at the hotel i cant wait to check out the track tomorrow. I will have a full writeup at the end of the day tomorrow. This is my first time racing at mid ohio and i will be riding in/driving a supercharged s2000

should be a blast…keep us posted. I’ve yet to run mid-ohio, but it’s on the list for sure.

Nice! Once finances settle down this track is definitely on the list. Interested to hear how it goes.

Have fun…

Looking forward to your report :tup:

I loved this place on the bike. Amazing track. :tup:

Going to run any video or data capture? I had really good luck with Harry’s Lap Timer Pro for iPhone.

GPS indicates 4.5 hour drive and it took me about that including a stop for subway. I think I could make the drive in 4 hours if I was looking to hurry. I set my cruise at 75 an got my W12 to bring in a impressive average of 21.6mpg. The hotel I stayed at was a holiday in and they have “splash harbor” which is basically a small water park. I feel like water park is giving it too much credit but it is bad ass for a hotel swimming pool. There is a spiny slide, hoops to throw balls in and some cool sprinkler things that the kids really seemed to get a kick out of… ok I did too, and there is 2 hot tubs to relax in after a stressful day of laping.

session 1 it was raining super hard and we were sliding all over the track thanks to the bald rubber on the S2K, but we took it really easy so we could at least get the feel for the track.

session 2 we swapped on the rain tires just in time because it was raining buckets. first lap out of the gate going down the straight the ass end slid out and the car got stuffed into a wall. The car is totaled, and it was really frustrating because the crash took forever to happen because we were driving so slowly. 50-60mph on a straight section of track.

After shutting the track down to extract the car from the wall and getting it loaded up we start heading back to the hotel at 10:30am and as we pull up he parks next to my W12 and he said do you think jason… I cut him off and said lets do it! so I took his spot and ran 3 sessions is what is most definitely the heaviest and largest car there that day.

Now the track is dry

W12 impressions: brakes are impressively powerful I gave it 1 lap at 100% and only coming from the long straight with the kink in it did I ever have any doubts in their ability I didn’t go balls out in this car for obvious reasons but it effortlessly hits 120-130 but bringing nearly 2.5tons back down from warp speed is a scary though. I never had any brake fade but braking from high speed the brakes got really loud and from exp that tells me the pad material is just about done so I backed off next lap around. Cornering trail braking will get the back end to rotate some which was a welcome feeling from anything else the car tries to do which is mostly understeer. The stability control works amazingly well I got the car majorly sideways coming over a hill and a couple quick blips from the ABS and I was back on track. I hate track driving with ESP on because it constantly reduces power but I am not trying to really push this car hard, and I am definitely not in a position to write this thing off should I stuff it into a wall so for this day the drivers assist stays ON. It was nice to at least be on course with something even though it was probably the slowest car there going around a corner, at least it has massive power and brakes to help it scoot around.

My buddy is super bummed about his car because it was so pristine, and he had spent the last 2 years getting it setup exactly the way he wanted it, but he had a very positive attitude about the situation which is impressive to me. In the end he will be looking for another on that is beat up that he can turn into a full blown track car, so it anyone has a line on one with a blown engine and or one that is pretty rough all around let me know. His drive train is still good but everything in the LR suspension and LF is wasted, and there is a big body gap on the front and rear of the driver door. his soft top is also loose now, and you can see where the rear frame rail got crushed.

edit: overall track impressions: The track was outstanding to drive on. The corners all connect nicely and there is a great flow to the track as well as nice elevation changes to load and unload your suspension which really keeps you on your toes. I always thought the track was further way but it is absolutely on my list of places I will continue to race at without question. As we found out this is NOT a track you want to go off course at because there is a solid chance of hitting something. It is a well laid course though so if you drive with some care it will be a great time without a doubt.

was he at least the one to stuff it?

yes. OMG i would never live that down if I crashed his car especially at those speeds

Sucks to hear about the S2K. Hopefully you got it on video!

sounds like a fun… sorry to hear about the stook… IM SURE IT WAS UBER CLEAN. as was his S4… before it went into a hay barrel at Dunnville. that really stinks but i know he does ALOT of track days so i guess the odds start stacking agenst you at some point.

Ouch. Pics of the carnage?

Ugh, sucks to hear.

Have you raced on other tracks? If so how would you rank mid ohio?

Ugh sucks to hear about the car. Mid Ohio is a great track, I will be out there at the end of July racing with NASA midwest.

Ugggghhh that sucks so much, sorry to hear about that.

Mid Ohio is a great place for sure though. Went a few years back for the NASA Runoffs, it was a blast!

BTW - This was just a lapping event not racing right?

yes it was a lapping event not racing

I will rank the tracks I have been to in order of my preference

1. road america (no question best track I have been on so far) 2 day event 2 day total track exp (1.5 of those days was in the rain)
  2. mid ohio 1 day event 1 day total track exp
  3. gingerman (close to mid ohio in my opinion) have run 1 and 2 day events and have run the course in both directions 6 day track exp
  4. black hawk farms 1 day event 1 day track exp
  5. nelson ledges 1 day events and have 10+ track days
  6. dunville 1 day events unknown events but it was a bunch
  7. TMP 1 day event 2 days total track exp

give me a couple days to see if he wants the pics posted

Sorry to hear about the S2k getting stuffed. Mid-Ohio is very slick when wet, almost not even fun…almost. Funny, I look forward to rain at The Glen and yet hope no one even sneezes in the direction of the MO track…