mini me question

I searched all the honda forums for this, but i couldn’t find any definitive answers. i thought maybe jay or someone else could give me an answer. If i swap a z6 head i have laying around onto a y7 block… i read something about the z6 cam not working well with the idle and that the y7 should be used. anybody know if this is correct or should i just keep the z6 cam in. Also, i don’t have the z6 dizzy, will the y7 work if i switch the plugs? i know it won’t bolt up exactly, but i’m sure there’s a way to afro-engineer it, maybe gut out a z6 dizzy and throw all the y7 shit in it?

you cant use a y7 cam in a z6 head shit just wont work
try honda-tech.com there will be tons of info

thats an odd combo… Usually you use a y8 head b/c its got the better design.

You can use the z6 if you want, i dont think you’ll see a real big gain though. If you do do it, keep the cam in there and use all the z6 stuff on the head (diz, mani, etc.).

I know that normally a y8 would be used, but i already have the z6 and the stock specs aren’t that different…

D16Y7 1.6 16V SOHC PGM-FI 1590 106hp@6200rpm 103tq@4600rpm '96-'00 Civic CX/DX/LX (USA)
D16Y8 1.6 16V SOHC VTEC-II PGM-FI 1590 127hp@6600rpm 107tq@5500rpm '96-'00 Civic EX (USA)
D16Z6 1.6 16V SOHC VTEC PGM-FI 1590 125hp@6600rpm 106tq@5200rpm '92 - '95 Civic EX/Si (USA)
'93-'95 Del Sol Si (USA)

also, it gives a comp of around 9.26 to 1 with the z6 head, which is a little bit lower than the y8, eventually i’d like to boost, so the lower compression will work more in my favor. i thought i had heard something about the z6 cams causing a bad idle with this swap. i’ll just keep all the z6 stuff and see how it works out.
thanks

A friend of mine just did the z6 head on a Y7. I believe he had to use all of the Z6 parts including the cam gears because the Y7 gears are a different size.

As far as distributor…he used the Y7 guts with the Z6 distributor. I can find out the definites or you catch him on AIM at hondalowlow.

I dont know how it would cause a bad idle. Maybe if someone used the wrong parts somewhere and got it out of time, then it would idle funny. If you do it right, there shouldn’t be any problems at all.

B series , all i’m saying

i know… i did the b series turbo already… i just don’t have the funds at the present time, unless i find a good deal. At least a b18b too, i can’t justify doing a b16a.