Motherboard: Dual Processor + Dual Core

I’m just about ready to give up on my desktop PC. If it’s an issue with the motherboard, I’d bite the bullet and invest in a crazy-fast motherboard/processor combo. But the question is…

Dual Core + Dual Processor = 4 processors…

For now, I’d get a dual-CPU capable motherboard, with one dual-core AMD 4200 (probably) and get another 4200 as money allows. So, my big question that the internet hasn’t answered for me, is who makes a good dual-processor Socket 939 motherboard that can handle what I want to do?

I have 2GB of DDR400 RAM which comes up fine after 8.5 hours of MemTest, and a bunch of other hardware that will complete the system. I really think (and hope) all I need is a new motherboard (and why buy just a motherboard when a faster CPU would come in handy?).

Any advice, fellow nerds?

Im not sure what you are looking to do exactly, but for that kinda cash, you could easily afford a AMD 64 FX-60 - which is pretty much the fastest thing ive ever used (64bit duel core, compared to the fx57 which is in increadibly fast single core). Blows away the P4 D Extreme. Anyways, I bought a Asus SLI delux full 16x 16x mobo @$140 from tigerdirect complete w\ FX60 chip. 2 4200s will cost more than 1 FX60. like i said i dont know how much processing power you need, but for a cheaper price in terms of mobo and chipset(s), you might wanna take a look into the FX60…

With the money you saved slashing a few $ from 2 chips for processing and a few $ off a mobo ( if i recall correctly, duel chip mobos are 2-3x the price- least used to be), you still get reduculiously fast performance and you can throw the money saved into a larger HD, or many set up to raid. Maybe a 10k HD for gaming. High end sound, maybe SLI video cards (6800 GT in SLI, 7800 GT\GTX, ect) or ATIs Crossfire.
Watch alot of movies? Maybe a widescreen monitor or top of the line sound card for the best in surround sound.

I tried to bog this thing down, and just couldnt do it.
I had doom3, WoW, AoE3 all running at the same time, and still snagged over 60 FPS in each game.

Multi-tasking was no problem. Protools ran perfect while running a UT2004 flythru benchmark test.

Of course to get the best performance from any 64 bit procesor, pick up windows XP 64 edition, or wait for their new OS to come out -Longhorn\Vista-

just my .o2

asus> all MBs!!!

they sell a bunch that can handle what u want.

And get the FX60 instead of the dual core like stated above, less money and same performance.

I’ve just seen lots of rendering tests for Sony Vegas (video) that make the AMD x2 processors seem to be the best solution, regardless of price.

When rendering an hour or 2 of video, it takes tons of time based on the effects being used (pan / crop, color correction, etc.). We’re talking over an HOUR per MINUTE of video on my current 3200+ (single core) system.

Actually the 64x2 FX-60 IS a duel core =) the 57 is the single core.
check out the review on www.hothardwere.com on the FX60 - it blows away all competition.

Hardware. Spelling > you. :slight_smile: And finally, we have a perfect example of how important spelling is. Computers don’t allow for any errors in spelling. :slight_smile:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__AMD_Athlon_64_FX_60_Dual_Core_Processor,__16020345/search=fx60

Starting at $1,000? Less money than a dual core 4800+? Nope. Not sure what you’re comparing this to, when you say less money.

Damn, better price - i found the 4800 at $700…so 2 of those would be $1400…and a 60 at $1000 =) bingo, $400 saved. And thanks on the correction =P Im a horrible typer…typist…ty…i suck at typing!

If you don’t change your RAM daily, turn this off in the BIOS. There is no reason for it to run a mem check everytime you boot up if your mem hasn’t changed.

And this process actually runs about 3 times during startup from what I have read.

If you’re dead set on a dual processor board, Tyan makes some of the best. I’ve used them in the past and they are rock solid. I can’t say that I’ve used them as gaming machines, but with the right video card, I’m sure they would be equal to, if not better than traditional boards like Asus, MSI, Abit, etc…

That was a memory test application that runs continuous tests. It ran for over 8 hours with no memory errors. I boot my desktop PC about once a week at most. It usually runs constantly. Checking RAM on bootup isn’t a big waste of time when you only do it weekly at most.

I’m holding off on the new motherboard / processor for now. I think my SCSI controller was the issue. It’s not even coming up in POST at this point, so I ordered a new one. I’d switch to an IDE system drive, but I’m using up all 4 IDE channels as it is. Besides, I like being weird with my Ultra160 SCSI system drive. :slight_smile: