help me decide on a processor

I’m looking to upgrade soon and obviously want to go dual core and without spending too much $$$.

whats the best bang for the buck right now? The althon 64 x2’s seem like a good buy… I also hear good things about the core 2 duo’s

any input?

I thought the core 2 duo was a quad core processor? Seems to be blowing everything else away right now.

to be honest there is no point in blowing 600 bucks on a processor… get something around the 150 -200 dollar range and you will be more than happy. Harddrives are still the limiting factor right now. and pretty much any x2 or core 2 will be more than enough…

i think AMD is relatively cheaper, and they do have support for DDR2 now with the AM2 socket so its a flip of the coin.

but if you are playing games (the last i remember) AMD is more suited for single thread processing where as intel is a multithreader… I could be wrong… its been a while since i read about processors

i installed a pentium D in a computer, it was super fast. also, they are VERY overclockable.

obviously core duo or core 2 duo is going to be the better quality choice, but the pentium D is great bang for the buck.

def. get a motherboard that supports ddr2 and sataII.

how fast do you want to go?

939 Athlon64’s are in the $75 for the top end. AM2’s are still pricey but worth it, and Im on a core2duo right now, and Its now a “screamer”, but I still havent been able to get more than a 50% load in it/them.

All this being said, if you got the green dual is the way to go.

anytthing other then dual is a wast of money.

u should be looking at pentium D AT LEAST

pentium d > athlon 64 imo

dude, slickdeals.net sometimes runs dell deals.

I bet you can get a dual core rig with a 19 inch flatpanel for 499.

The pentium D machines are stupid cheap now as well.

Here at the homestead i run an oldschool pentium 4 3.0, its fine for doing my ebay shit.

Call me player

like i said there isn’t really a big point in some crazy ass processor… OMG I CAN ARCHIVE A 14GB file in 4.3 seconds, as oppose to 8.6 seconds… WHO CARES…

video games are video card intensive… load times are harddrive dependant. blah blah and so forth… a good mobo is much more important than some hardcore processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115004

For the money its hard to beat…

Depends on the game. Some games are more processor dependent.

well, I want it more so for the future than anything else. My rig as it stands is still a good machine… but I’d like to build a work only machine (cad work for those that dont know me)… and keep this one for gaming/internet/ect

that core 2 sounds like a good deal :tup:

if u want it for the future then get core2duo

This seems like the best bang for the buck right now…

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23947

i have an AMD X2 3800 939chipset

new/sealed in box $150