Motorcyclist's leg torn off in gruesome crash

:wow:eek3

Don’t be this guy…ride safe and try to protect yourself as much as you can with gear, attention and your riding when you are on the road.

BTW, please save your “…this is why I don’t get a bike” comments. I got more gruesome news about how some drivers kill themself with their heads chopped off in their cars. In addition, this is not to instigate a motorcycle displacement war, simply wanted to point out you don’t HAVE to risk getting your legs chopped off by your own doing everytime to go riding…

JOYCE, Wash. - A speeding motorcyclist’s leg was severed off and sent sailing through the air when he lost control of his motorcycle and slammed into a signpost along a twisting Olympic Peninsula highway.

State troopers responded to the scene, on Highway 112 in rural Clallam County about 18 miles west of Port Angeles, at about 5:50 p.m. Saturday.

A Washington State Patrol investigation found that the motorcycle rider, a 20-year-old Silverdale man, was heading west at high speed when the roadway curved to the left near Lyre River Road.

The motorcycle, a 2009 Yamaha YZF-R6, was going too fast to make the curve. It flew off the west road shoulder, through the ditch and became airborne, jumping over Lyre River Road.

The motorcyclist slammed into the stop sign post with his right leg. The lower leg was immediately amputated and went flying through the air.

The motorcycle and rider continued on through sheer momentum, crashing into several trees before coming to rest a few feet apart, the State Patrol reported.

The leg landed in the ditch on the east side of the Highway 112, across from Lyre River Road.

The motorcyclist was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. His condition was not immediately available.

The Washington State Patrol said the crash was caused by the motorcyclist riding too fast for conditions. No drugs or alcohol were involved.

The cyclist faces possible reckless driving charges.

source: komonews

Sounds all too familiar.

I wish him the best.

Cool! :rofl

yikes. ive driven that road. VERY fun to drive. but that blows. prosthetics arent cheap.

Tail of the dragon equivalent for Wash. state?

there is no equivalent to the Tail of the Dragon, although Washington does have a bunch of very long and very windy roads. the OPH is definently one of the best and one of my favorite roads. another one that i have alot of experience on, and is a motorcylcist favorite as well. is called “chuckanut drive” it stretches from burlington washginton to bellingham,wa. quite amazing and mostly on the edge of a mountain

Drove the Chuckanut drive section when I used to drive from Vancouver to Seattle to do autocross. Man, that was way back when I was driving my mkII Golf.