Moving to Calgary, help?

Well, looks like within the next month, I’ll be moving to Calgary to find better work and for my GF to be closer to her parents and go to school ecentually.

So basicly, where’s a good place too look for a job. I’ll be needing around 13 -15 dollars an hour at least, and I can do anything. I’m in good shape and I have lots of backround in sales, and technical support/IT. So warehouse, shop hand, on-site or phone tech support, whatever. So anybody reccomend somewhere I should apply?

Also I’m trying to find a place to live. My budget is around max $800/mo, can’t be a basement suite, bust have 2 bedrooms. Where are some good neighborhoods? Know any cool apartment building that aren’t too expensive?

I’m doing searching on my own but I’m looking for recommedations or inside tips, haha. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

southwest = safest
north west = pretty nice
south east = kinda ghettoy in some areas but still has its nice points
Norht east i would prolly stay away from unless your in one of the good areas ( but they are pricey)

I have lived here in this house all my life in the south west and nothing ever bad happen. just my car broken into but its my fault for leaving my face plate on.

I dont know if this is much help but I lived in calgary back in 1994. I was living up in the NE side of town…We had a corner store behind our house and there was a dumster fire every 2nd week…kind of gettoy is right!! needless to say we got the f out of there after only 4 months

I lived in Bowness, while at the U of C. Not bad, if you have a house with a garage.

I lived in Calgary for almost 15years, most of which were in the Hood (NE).Stay away from any address that ends in NE or SE…

Anyway the point of my post is that if you are looking for a nice place to rent (good area), try over in the NW, in or around confederation park. We rented a temorary place a year ago between buying houses at got a great deal on a half duplex. Came with a garage and the area was great,it was a 4 bedroom all for about $700/month. This was on the west side of 19st north of 16thave NW. That area is walking distance to the UofC, if you stay just on the outer rim of the controlled parking you avoid having to get parking passes to park on the street or worry about visitors when they come by, watch that if you are looking around that part of the City.

A buddy rented a place right around the same time and paid the same amount for a townhouse in the NE right by the leisure center…uuuuug! The inside was a little nicer but walk outside and it was a whole different story…

Just a suggestion but before you sign a lease, go drive around the place on a friday or staurday night between 6pm and midnight. You will get a much better idea of the kind of people that hang around or come and go than on a sunday afternoon…

Really good place to work, box making plant. Sounds boring, but they’re union and they start out at $20 per hour, 12 hour shifts. company’s called ’ Norampac,’ toll free 1-800-818-4117. That’s the staring wage for someone with no education and no experience. They have a HACCP Program (food safety prgoram), good safety program, and 3S system (everything organized and in its place program). Went there for a tour and they seem pretty cool. I heard SW was the best place to live, Good luck! if you need details, e-mail me.