msd 2 stage..wtf????

ok, im looking into the msd 2 stage setup so i can set it for rpm to launch at so i can build boost at teh line etc. However, i’m getting pretty freaking lost. I’m not understanding how it cuts power/etc. Obviously, u have ur msd box. then wired into that, u have a 2 step or 3 step. well, if u put a chip in for say 4500 rpm for chip 1, and chip 2 you set at the redline–so say 7400. How does it know when to limit you to 4500 and when to 7400? Shouldn’t there be a cabin mounted switch or something??? I would think a little button on the shifter, or something on the bottom of the clutch pedal so while clutch is engaged, it trips the circuit…

also, is see they make adjustable modules-- have a little dial and u turn it to the desired rpm. i much rather have that setup so i dont have to fuck w/ pills.

so, anyone who has some familiarity care to explain this to me…

I have used a MSD6BTM before; it had one pill to prevent overrev

http://www.msdignition.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/index.php

here is a tech forum to help you out

btw what model is your MSD setup? i cant find a Stage 2 setup on their page

i got a 6a, going to a 6al. however, if shit is costly, and i ened a bunch of stuff, then im switching to a mallory hifyre w/ the built in 2 stage

ok, i looked around. shows a latch style switch for when clutch is pushed down, and some other bullshit…

My Digital 6 has 2 knobs for setting redlines. stage 1 and stage 2, you can set stage 1 to a switch in the cab for launching; say around 3500 rpm, and stage 2 for the run, say 7100 rpm

ok, so how do u go from the rpm limit in stage 1 to the set rpm in stage 2?

id imagine a small toggle switch that you can hit after you launch? maybe by the shifter or a button on the wheel?

if you have a line lock wire the switch to it there should be a wire that when you put power too it will engage the two-step

i think it works that when ever the clutch is pushed in the rpm limiter is set lower. i could be rong though

Originally posted by fiveohmatt
if you have a line lock wire the switch to it there should be a wire that when you put power too it will engage the two-step
wow… where have u been??

no shit, where have u been matt…

also, no line lock, im opposite drive :slight_smile:

Originally posted by vw16vcabby
ok, im looking into the msd 2 stage setup so i can set it for rpm to launch at so i can build boost at teh line etc. However, i’m getting pretty freaking lost. I’m not understanding how it cuts power/etc. Obviously, u have ur msd box. then wired into that, u have a 2 step or 3 step. well, if u put a chip in for say 4500 rpm for chip 1, and chip 2 you set at the redline–so say 7400. How does it know when to limit you to 4500 and when to 7400? Shouldn’t there be a cabin mounted switch or something??? I would think a little button on the shifter, or something on the bottom of the clutch pedal so while clutch is engaged, it trips the circuit…

also, is see they make adjustable modules-- have a little dial and u turn it to the desired rpm. i much rather have that setup so i dont have to fuck w/ pills.

so, anyone who has some familiarity care to explain this to me…
You can hook it up to your clutch switch so that when the clutch is pressed, it switchs to the step 1 lower rev limit. Then when you let off the clutch it goes back to your step2 high rev limit. Some people say that this way as the clutch wears the contact changes. So they hook it to a push botton momentary switch. The cool thing is that when your on the low RPM that thing is going to be stuttering and backfiring. Everybody in the area will have there eyes on you. And all the dumbass’s will think your cars about to blow up;)