Mustang ppl, help a brotha out with some answers

what kind of power will 99-04 gt’s make with a basic 5 psi s/c kit??? I should gain 100hp min correct???

^^^ 99-04 GT with the average of 6-8psi, put down anywhere between 330 and 360 to the wheels…most s/cs claim atleast 100+ hp gain on a stock motor.

…and to build on this, these years of Mustang when stock plus 6-8psi will run pretty close to the full bolt-on NA 302 Fox body, so figure a pretty solid 12 second car with not too much problem.

Another thing to possibly consider is the 5.4 swap. A friend of mine from my days in MN was one of the first to do said swap into a '99 GT auto. Total cost was $900 for the project! It’s late right now but I’ll try to dig up some more info on this as he ended up doing a full write up for 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords magazine a few years back.

whatever year mustang you get; 4.6 DOHC or SOHC, stick with it. You don’t need to swap for a 5.4 to go fast, Theres to much involved and might become a head ache( I’m not saying it can’t be done). I’m sure the DOHC or SOHC will be fast enough for you. There are many fast cars that are using 4.6’s

I have friends who are big into Mustangs and I have been on the verge of buying one for years, so I pay pretty close attetion. I really like the newest body style but that will be too expensive, it sounds like.

Pretty much what others have said - which is best depends on what your goal is with the car. If you want to leave it mostly stock, get a '99 up 2V. Or a 4V, which will be a lot more expensive. If you want to extensively mod it, find a clean 5.0 Fox body and put the money into mods. If you want to spend bigger bucks, you can make any of them fast, as with any car, but I would choose the '99 up 2V if you didn’t want to go the Fox body route.

Easier said than done. It took me two years to find one and that was 6 years ago.

I can get a clean 85 mustang 5.0 for 800 bucks.

I was thinking about making a new thread, but my thoughts fit pretty well in here so I’ll just bump this thread.

I’ve been thinking that a non PI GT might make a pretty decent DD. Cheap, reliable, nice looking, nice sounding, not FWD, and probably still fun if you don’t have mustang envy and worry about having the slowest GT in 2 decades. Sure they were slugs stock, but that’s compared to other Mustangs. Were they at least capable of 14.9x stock in the quarter mile? Could they hit 13.9x with power adding bolt ons? (Not interested in slicks or gearing since I’m daydreaming about my next DD. The 1/4 mile number is just for reference for what kind of power I’d be happy with.) What would it take to hit 13’s? Could it be done reliably for $1k?

Now, same questions, except a 94-95 5.0?

I just like Mustangs and think that a 94-98 could make a fun, cheap, reliable DD. So if I don’t worry about the next guy with his faster mustang, what’s not to like?

i am seriously considering a 96-98 gt, witht he money I save from buying a cobra fromt he same period, I could use that money to turbo the car and get a intake and heads

The cobras are that much more? How much are you figuring for intake, heads, and turbo?

i see cobras for like 8g’s, i have seen gt’s for like 3500-4. this was just a quick glance tho. check ebay. i just looked and 96-98 cobras average 8-10K. a gt is like 5k. so I say like 2500 for turbo parts and such if I piece together a kit and then I havent really looked into heads and a intake

will 99 plus PI heads and intake fit a 96-98. I am guessing they will.

^Yep. I was JUST reading about it. Plus the non-PI motors are slightly higher compression so a non-PI motor with PI intake and head will be make a touch more power than a PI motor.

Here’s some good (?) reading:

http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=2634&highlight=non+power+improved