My CJ @ Tift (first mudd trip video)

Hey 75 CJ5 GUY, i watched the build up of this thing. You still with Amy?

na we called it quits last year after about 5 years. kind of a sucky story. i guess im over it though. I think i remember you and have seen pics of one of your jeeps a while back

I would definately gear that thing if I were you. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes. I switched from 3.73’s to 4.88’s in my '55 with 33’s, now I’m even considering going to 5.38’s. 7 MPG seems REALLY low, I get almost 15 and I have a Chevy 283. I think the gearing has a lot to do with that.

i would tend to think that re gearing for the tires would make the rpms just go up and suck more fuel, i have looked at tire charts and rpms and usually there are 3 bands, power/ towing, daily driver, best fuel economy. I am one range higher than best fuel economy (meaning im underpowered, but i dont need alot of rpm to go fast, you all know this). i believe my motor is rated for its best power at 2200 rpms (105hp, 200ftlbs, no laughing please)but i dont mind wheeling in 4low which basically makes my 3.73’s into 7.46’s. And, going 65mph in 2wheel high im not screaming at 4500rpm. the straight six has pleanty of grunt to get the truck moving in 2wheel high (to me, i drive a 4cyc s10) so i dont really want to regear.

i have 33’s on my YJ with stock gears going 60-65ish im at like 1700RPM i get some awsome highway mileage ( like 17mpg)

I had 4.56’s in my CJ7 with 35’s. That’s the way to go.

Actually, having a higher (numerically lower) gear ratio might actually hurt your mileage. The vehicle actually feels heavier to the engine due to the lack of mechanical advantage. This makes the engine work harder than it really needs to which in turn uses excess fuel. I’d bet that lower gears (not anything radical, but somewhat lower) would actually increase your mileage as well as help performance.

i will deff agree with that one. my truck just chuggs at low rpms and i know im just wasting gas

:tup: CJ u have your self one nice jeep man :tup:

…sounds like you know what your doing, and dont need to spend 30 grand to make something work and you like.

I tend to agree usually with that statement, but i just dont feel like my CJ is “chugging” or bogging down at any rpm range with that torquey straight 6 motor, so i think im going to take some carb and timing advice before i go ripping into my axles.