My CJ @ Tift (first mudd trip video)

Hey guys, Im fairly new here, but finaly got my CJ on the road over Christmas break after about a 2 year frame off and about $15K into her:

http://media.putfile.com/CJ5

video is a little weak and short, but not bad for my brotherinlaw for driving and taping with a new camera behind me. Also check out the restoration progress at my site with 10 pages or so:

http://www.rit.edu/~maa5094/jeep.htm

…and i WILL be going again this weekend!

~75 CJ5 GUY

nice build.

nice, welcome.

build looks like you did it right, good job.

Harbor Freight jack Stands FTW. :tup: Nice build.

Nice build, shitty camera work.

Nice build up, how come you stuck with the strait 6 instead of jumping to say a 350?

so much work for such a nice truck, then get it dirty. lol i love it

Nice CJ. Check out www.earlycj5.com if you haven’t already. It’s a great forum for any early Jeep.
Here’s my '55 in the water hole at Tift:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Southtowns27/Jeep/Playground3.jpg

Are you planning on painting it? you put so much money in it for the other stuff…

thats nice man

how much lift do u have over stock?

and any reason you with all the money you spent you didnt do a disc brake set up?

nice build i ride my 4 wheeler where u were mudding lol

a couple answers to questions:

It would be painted, but its too cold right now and i actually live in rochester so im limited to weekend work on her. i hadnt planned on getting on the road untill the spring but the weather has been descent and i couldnt pass up the Christmas specials at 4wd.com for tires. i have the paint picked out, probably omaha orange or something along one of those bright oranges :slight_smile:

i stayed with the straight six mostly cause i herd alot of good things about those torquey old motors and got a descent price on a factory reman for $1100 shipped. i wanted something that i could understand, and get together with out too many problems. I honostly dont know enough about motors to build one up myself and going chevy, i probably would have dumped quite a few dollars in to adaptors/tranny or whatever i decided. i probbaly get about 7mpg right now, but thats why i have a little s10 to get me around.

as for disk brakes, that would have been nice, but the kits i found were between 400-900$ an axle so for under 200$ i put in all new wheel cyclendars/shoes and when they dry they will lock up the 35"s which i was supprized (11" 4 wheel drum). wet, well thats another story and i use the clutch alot lol

as for the video quality, well not bad for driving and taping with a new camera, give the guy some credit. i also had to compress it down to 25MB cause that was the first free sites max on a yahoo search and i was lazy to find anything else.

i just put a new steering box in tonight which was the last thing in the steering i didnt actually replace, and it seems to feel alot tighter now. also got some nerf padding for the bars above my head, me and my buddy kept hitting them which sucked.

next besides paint, is a winch and maybe a locker or two, even though with those tires and mudding i do i probably dont need them.

forgot,

its got the skyjacker 4" kit, and about a 2" body lift. T-case drop kit, dropped pitman. i stayed stock shackels cause i think trucks look lame with huge shackels (i admit i have shackels on my 2wd s10) and i dont really care too much for SOA’s either. Although if you look at the pictures the original springs were so shot and the new fiberglass body is a bit lighter i think, but maybe even with the weight of the 8 point cage, she looks more like a 8" or 10" lift to me (probably going from p235’s to 35"s. Id like sometime to get a pic next to someones stock cj / yj to really see the diff.

what kinda gears r u runnin i have 35s on my truck and i was thinkin of runnin 4.88s so i can make some good power wiht them on there

What motor is in your truck? how is it geared now also?

4x4 jimmy killed his jimmy in the waterhole you guys were in at the beggining of the video. theres also a picture posted of the same hole.

35’s and lockers is just asking for snapped axles… your better off with a wince so if you do get stuck you can get out

350 4 bolt main bored 40 over with other bolt ons and what not. stock it has 3.73s. with 35 inch tires to bring it back to stock i would need to run 4.56s and to make power 4.88 obviously

im running the stock 3.73’s with the proComp Mud 35x12.50’s. i just got back from tift a little while ago, made some new trails got caught up on a really big stump / tree a little, but made it through ok. ya i think i might stay away form the lockers for a bit and go for a winch, i like the warn 9.5RC i think its called (mostly because it matches my red frame).