My Friday Fun

So a bit back I bought this car at auction

The car runs and drives PERFECT, super tight suspension & steering, no play in anything, basically one of the better MK4 Jettas I’ve driven. My GF wants to keep this one and have me sell her blue 01 as this one rides so nice.

Anyways, a bit after I bought it I did some stuff to it and while driving it I noticed that I was getting the smell of coolant when I turned on the heat. Fucking great. So I had two options. Re-auction it and just get my money back or fix the problem and sell it knowing that the car is basically perfect. After much pussy aching and whining like a little bitch, I decided to do the heater core and sell the car to a person instead of re-auctioning the car.

For anyone who were smart enough to never get a VW, a heater core is a fairly common failure item in this brand. This car has under 82K miles and this is the third core in it! I had a beater Buick that I got with 80K and junked it with 225K and it was on the original core.

I’ve done heater cores in cars before, but that always had me removing any “unnecessary” items in the way with my Milwaulkee Sawzall, so this was going to be a first.

Here are some pics that will make most sane people cringe

Pile O’ parts

I don’t think this goes here

This is what the heater core “lives” in, the heater core box. You can see how there are dried remains of coolant

And here is the offending unit

What the fuck have I done???

And this is how it sits now

So, retarded designs I’ve worked on this week. Well, first there was the Volvo Cross Country that needed the throttle body cleaned out as it was searching for idle. The fucking IKEA reject designers at Volvo decided to put the throttle body under the intake manifold upsidedown so it is a blind shot that you basically have to feel. Fucking brilliant. Nothing like taking out the radiator fans, charge tubes, and 9 million other things to get to an upside down invisible throttle body.

And then there was this abortion. There were a few how to threads on-line and seeing the pics showing the same thing as the last two pics I posted up where what made me want to not do the job and re-auction it. But, in the end, I’m glad I did it as I can now sell the car and be 100% confident that there is NOTHING wrong with it mechanically and the body is straight and has a nice clean interior.

A [SIZE=7]HUGE [/SIZE]thank you goes out to Xander as he came over on his day off and helped me through this task having done it on his old Passat. I REALLY REALLY appreciate it man

So, would I do it again? Yeah, I would as I could not hand over the $800-$1000 a shop would charge for this job. It really wasn’t hard, just alot of stuff to remove to get to the heater core box that has 2 screws holding the core in-what a kick in the dick that is

I do not miss my MK4 at all, ever.

IB4 Dan or some other VWguy goes “Wahh, you bought a POS, it’s not the car!”

VW’s are a pain in the ass, clear, cut and clean.

congrats on doing it right and not screwing over someone if you sold it… that is the reason ill never own a VW

And this is the exact reason why I sold my fiancee’s Passat so cheap. Granted the buyer was aware the car needed the heater core, but better him than me to replace it! Nice work though, you must have a lot of patience.

Uggh, I have to do that on my GLI this month. It doesn’t have as much wiring as a Mk4, but still a PITA I’m told.

god i’m glad i didn’t do it in mine lol. i sold it w/ the blown core

im SOO glad my cunt exwife got the Jetta in the divorce! LOL

FTW

She showed you, she got the Jetta. I bet you were torn up inside when you realized you weren’t going to be getting it If you want I can show you exactly where to drill a hole to puncture the core with the car all together

And EVERYTHING works as it should. Every little stupid little thing, the glovebox light, the dimmer, EVERYTHING. No rattles, no smell of coolant, NOTHING. Words can not express how satisfied I am that I completed this task and it was done correctly and you can never tell we were in there

Nice job man, i couldnt even imagine how much of a bitch this was

I hate working on VW more than anything

Good stuff krant, xander certainly knows his way around late model VWs.

Glad I could help bro. :tup:

X…