My Peter Luger Experience

Crystal really enjoys a good steak and her birthday is coming up so I took the opportunity to finally make the trip to Peter Luger’s in Brooklyn to celebrate. For those that don’t know, Lugers was established in 1888 and is considered by some to be the best steak in the US. It won best steak in NYC the last 24 years in a row and has a 28 Zagat score.

I called 2 weeks in advanced and was told I should call 2 months in advance. They had 1 opening for the month which was Saturday 23rd @ 9:45PM. We left at 9PM and went down 87S to the Triboro into Brooklyn and then the BQE to the Williamsburg Bridge. Luger’s is right under the bridge and they do have free parking. Given the prices, they should.

For those that want coddling or excellent service, this place is not for you. The servers have been known to be borderline rude. I guess it’s the experience. You can tell they have a bit of an act but it’s downright real if you ask me. To be honest, it looks like a dump but it’s best compared to a 1940’s vintage German bar. The actual bar is shit. It looks like something in a frat house. We ordered a Brooklyn draft and a Becks beer for $13 total. We got seated 20 minutes later at 10:05PM and it was PACKED. The actual dining room is shit. The chairs feel like something out of a old bingo hall and the tables look like something made out of a re-used entertainment center at Walmart.

Our waiter brings over menus which is shocking to me. Typically, they do not. Here’s the convo:

“What will you have?”
“Steak for 2. Medium Rare because of her. Spinach. Potatoes for 2. Oh, and bacon for 2. Oh. 1/2 bottle of XXX wine too. (Some shit Crystal likes)”.
“Sure.”

For those that don’t know. Most quality steak houses just serve porterhouse (strip/filet) and that’s it. They mimic Lugers with Steak for 1/2/3/4/etc…

He walks away. Bread comes and it’s in a basket and they are good but tasted like not as fresh as I had hoped. They were about 6 and 4 had baked onions on them and the others were some sort of herbs. Their famous steak sauce is a spicy cocktail sauce and it comes in this big ass gravy boat. It was damn tasty.

Bacon comes. It’s thick and actually lean but you know it’s not good for you. It’s amazing. I am NOT a bacon fan but it’s what you are supposed to have. It was WELL worth it. It tasted/looked like fried pork loin.

Then, the steak arrives. They flip over a saucer and the steak plate sits on it so the fat/juices run down to the bottom. It’s pre-sliced and they dish out some onto your plate and put some juice on it and then put your sides around your plate and that’s it.

Words cannot describe the difference between this and a place like Outback. It’s very different in quality. Is it worth it? Well, that’s something that you need to decide but I wanted to try. It’s lightly chared on the outside and the inside is red. I mean, perfectly cooked. It’s a tad crisp on the outside but the knife just sinks through it. I haven’t eaten at too many nice places but Crystal has eaten at Ruth Cris/Morton/Tollgate (Dry-aged place in Westchester)/Shula/Jacks/and some other fancy places and she said it was the best she ever had by far. I mean, you can just tell it’s on another level.

We finished and I am struggling but we decided to get desert just because it’s what is said to experience. Crystal got Apple Strudel and I got the “Holy Cow” Ice Cream Sundae. I couldn’t finish it. It’s just a big ass sundae and it comes with their whipped cream that is like glue. It will hurt you. It’s very very rich.

Fantastic meal. The best I ever had in my life. Worth it? Well, again, that depends on what you enjoy but I am willing to try.

Cost break down:

$13 2 beers
$2 tip

$35 1/2 bottle of some red wine
$85 Steak for 2
$20.90 Spinach/Potatoes
$5.50 2 slices of bacon
$18 2 desserts
$36 tip

$215.40 total

BTW, cash or Luger Credit Card only.

A wonderful experience.

Shawn…did you ever make it to 677 Prime before you left town? I’ve been there several times for the Kobe beef and it’s fantastic. Price range is about the same. I’ve heard great things about Lugers’s. Next time I’m in the NYC area, and I know 2-3 months ahead of time, I’ll have to try Lugers.

Impressive menu. Not Zagat rated but for those prices in Albany, it must be good.

I haven’t went. I plan to go next time I am in town. I heard of this place too but forgot about going. Thanks for reminding me.

Please go to Luger and compare. Curious your thoughts. It’s just damn pricey to go on a regular basis.

sounds delish, but for 85$ i hope you atleast got a big portion of steak… not some little 8oz.

wow man, sounds like a awesome birthday dinner! It wouldnt worth it because im not really a steak fan. However if there was a comparable pizza place with world famous pizza that was $85 id be all over that haha.

You HAVE met Shawn, haven’t you?

:tong

i still bet the steak that i make on the grill is better than any other

Porterhouse has a bone. I’d guess about 18-20 ounces of meat.

Im a big steak lover but damn thats a lot for a steak dinner

ehh cant complain to much, i once paid 35 dollars for a steak, and omg it was amazeing

but seriously, if i had money to splurge on a dinner like that id love to check that place out

It really is a lot. I won’t try to justify it but simply say that it’s a landmark and considered the best so I decided to splurge. I am not sure if I’d go back except maybe a big occassion.

Well id deff do it, but id go with a buddy and make him pay for his, cause i seriously aint takin the girl out and paying for her ass :nana … lol but seriously if the steak is that good i may have to bookmark this place in my head and give it a try next time im down that way

I am just worried someone will dump $200 and feel like I f0ked them. :ohnoes

All I can say is that, if you like steak, I’d give it a try.

24+ years of best in nyc must be good. If the damn bill was $125-$150, I’d be much more willing to go again.

skip the god damn wine and desserts and you’re close.

bring your own. :lol

I meant $125-$150 for all that.

$125-$150 for one piece of meat, some spinach and potatoes is nuts.

Wait? :confused

If he did that how else would he get his gf to do anal?

He needed to give it to someone after being bent over with that bill

;D

J/p yeah seriously i could see 100-150 for both me and the girl

You know what, Shawn? I dont mind spending 200 on a meal for 2 if its really really good food. I dont mind trying places like that once or twice, ya know? I wouldnt consistently eat there, because i just cant afford to, but in general? HELL YES! I will go and try something like that. I dont really need to go into some fancy trendy restaurant with all kinds of dumb shit on the walls with fancy lighting or whatever. I dont really go for the atmosphere, I’m there for good food. If you wana go to a snazzy place, im sure there more than enough of those hip trendy preppy ass clubs in NYC that people can go to and hope others think theyre so kool because they are in there. fuck that noise. give me a nice quiet out of the way joint with excellent food and a fat chef. This is the reason i like small joints. like small non chain diners. it just looks like an old rv trailer thing that got dragged there and because it just broke down there they just set it up there in that spot. if the food is good, who gives a crap. chain restaurants are not bad, but my favorite places are the small ones like that, out of the way. youve probably passed some on your way to work or whatever and you dont even really notice it, ya know? I think if i went to that restaurant and i was as impressed by the food as you said you were, id ask to go to the kitchen and personally thank the chef. it’d totally make the guy’s day, even if he walked into the doors in the shittiest of moods.

Me and you lets go, that way its only like 80 bucks for each of us, rather than taking out the old ladys and spending 200+

Don’t forget the cost of your 3 hour trek to Brooklyn.

plus 20 in tolls