My Turbo E30 thread, ABORTED. info on page 7, post 170.

and wow did i really forget to resize that one pic? haha

how are the cyl walls?

you gonna check the bearings?

Brian

[quote=“reliant_turbo,post:122,topic:38701"”]

how are the cyl walls?

you gonna check the bearings?

Brian

[/quote]

the cylinder walls really don’t look bad actually. i was surprised too.
I’ll take a look at the bearings but i’m really not concerned about the bottom end. i’m going to run it for this summer and if it blows so be it. in the mean time i’m going to rebuild a bottom end out of the car with forged internals to swap in when/if it blows. if it lasts the summer then i’ll be putting it in over next winter.

[quote=“reliant_turbo,post:119,topic:38701"”]

yeah he definitely wont need the mod at first. ive seen them leak anywhere from 18-22 psi.

Brian

[/quote]

They leak at all boost because of the metal piston to the aluminum seat, but the amount of boost leaked off is negligable for the price. Tial and greddy and maybe hks use a seal between the valve. But greddy leaks from other places and hks can be sealed up and work properly but the outlet is a limiting factor like the 1g and evo mr bov valve size. Tial is the best for sealing and flow if you use the correct spring, as to cause the least amount of surge.

Steve, good progress. The ton of coolant in the cylinders is from not draining the coolant completely, I’m not doubting a headgasket failure but just letting ya know. Oh and give me those tools, I could use an extra set.

[quote=“Devioustsi,post:124,topic:38701"”]

They leak at all boost because of the metal piston to the aluminum seat, but the amount of boost leaked off is negligable for the price. Tial and greddy and maybe hks use a seal between the valve. But greddy leaks from other places and hks can be sealed up and work properly but the outlet is a limiting factor like the 1g and evo mr bov valve size. Tial is the best for sealing and flow if you use the correct spring, as to cause the least amount of surge.

Steve, good progress. The ton of coolant in the cylinders is from not draining the coolant completely, I’m not doubting a headgasket failure but just letting ya know. Oh and give me those tools, I could use an extra set.

[/quote]

Thanks again gary :slight_smile:
and maybe if ya help me out i’ll throw ya a wrench here or there lol. stop by and take a look some time if you want, i should have a better heater and some better lighting in there after i get some stuff tomorrow.

[quote=“cky89,post:125,topic:38701"”]

and maybe if ya help me out i’ll throw ya a wrench here or there lol. stop by and take a look some time if you want, i should have a better heater and some better lighting in there after i get some stuff tomorrow.

[/quote]

no prob and ok

Looks like a cool project, i bought brents old E30, everyone got a piece of that thing. If you need any parts let me know. Also I will buy the stock Cat out of it since you are boosting you probably wont need it.

I just read this whole thread. Looks like a fun build! Hopefully you aren’t like me and get impatient. I bought parts starting August 06 and when I had basically everything I couldn’t wait and got it all installed during winter break from RIT.

My recommendation: get a gigantic propane heater for your garage if it isn’t heated. I had one of the ones that mounted on top of a 20lb tank and not only does it randomly spit green fireballs now, you have to carry it around the garage and keep it nearby to keep vital organs warm enough to keep working.

Good luck with everything, can’t wait to see more progress :slight_smile:

[quote=“VertZ24,post:127,topic:38701"”]

Looks like a cool project, i bought brents old E30, everyone got a piece of that thing. If you need any parts let me know. Also I will buy the stock Cat out of it since you are boosting you probably wont need it.

[/quote]

thanks, i’ll let you know if i need anything else :slight_smile:
the cat is in PERFECT condition and i mean like brand new. PM me about it.

[quote=“kansei,post:128,topic:38701"”]

I just read this whole thread. Looks like a fun build! Hopefully you aren’t like me and get impatient. I bought parts starting August 06 and when I had basically everything I couldn’t wait and got it all installed during winter break from RIT.

My recommendation: get a gigantic propane heater for your garage if it isn’t heated. I had one of the ones that mounted on top of a 20lb tank and not only does it randomly spit green fireballs now, you have to carry it around the garage and keep it nearby to keep vital organs warm enough to keep working.

Good luck with everything, can’t wait to see more progress :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Thanks!
I’m having problems with the heating of the garage because its a small rented garage in the apartments i live in so i can’t have anything too flamable or dangerous in there, and i also can’t find any electric heaters that will heat a decent area near where im working :frowning:

i’ll have more updates on the car tomorrow. it was a long night of this thing tonight so i should have a decent amount of pictures and stuff that i did to her.

[quote=“cky89,post:125,topic:38701"”]

[/quote]

I think Pep Boys has a sick deal on a $300 heater for $100

My dad picked one up and he said it heats the garage (2 car) in about 5 minutes…

EDIT: I use the 20lb propane tank method in my garage as well. You shouldn’t have any problems with that. If anything is under 6-8 feet in front of it, the element will get whatever pretty warm. lol

It’s safe, my mom trusts it. I trust it. It’s convenient, quick, and no clean up other than the turn of a knob.

[quote=“Gus,post:130,topic:38701"”]

I think Pep Boys has a sick deal on a $300 heater for $100

My dad picked one up and he said it heats the garage (2 car) in about 5 minutes…

[/quote]

Srsly? I’m going tomorrow to look. foreal. lol. my garage is so colddddd.

Nice project you have here. I am doing a I top end swap on my 86 325e. Ill probably be boosting it summer of 08. Let me know if you have any left over parts =)

Thanks!

I have some random parts laying around that will likely end up going to scrap. let me know what you need.

I have “i” exhaust manifolds that flow a bit more/better if you’re interested. Shoot me a pm. I’ll try and help out the best I can :slight_smile:

So I’m currently waiting for my last package of shit to finish my top end. Including. all copper exhaust manifold stud nuts, intake manifold gaskets, exhaust manifold gasket, valve cover gasket and a timing belt.

After I recieve that I unfortunately won’t be able to put any more money into the car because it seems that I have run into some HUGE financial trouble, but I have more than enough stuff to keep me busy til I can get back on my feet again.

Should have some pics up tomorrow night. I’ll be working on it all day.

UPDATE:

So we’ve made some progress on the car…

Today we got out there and started to get the drive shaft off and get the tranny mounts off so we can pull the short block tomorrow night. The drive shaft was extremely easy, basically a matter of pulling the rotted out drive shaft cover off the car and undoing the rear tranny mount. that took about a half hour to do along with starting to unbolt the oil pan and getting everything else ready to pull it out tomorrow
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g188/euroboy66/bmw.jpg
JDMjunkie and myself decided pulling the short block was a good idea because I’d really like the car wire tucked and get the engine bay shaved and painted nice gloss black.

Everything should go nice and smooth considering the little amount of rust that’s on the car. Tomorrow afternoon Showoff is dropping off his engine hoist for me to borrow to pull it out and then the block will be cleaned up and painted black.

Then it’s on to me shaving off the excess bracketry and removing the heating/air conditioning components that still remain in the car. mean while JDMjunkie will be doing the wire tuck.

I have about 15 pics from tonite that I’m too lazy to put up now because I’m going drinking but they’ll be up tomorrow night along with more from tomorrow with the engine pulled out.

Next week friday I get my manifold back from getting rewelded as well.

Should hopefully have a running car by mid february if all goes well!

haha you asshole. yes the drive shaft was extremely easy. like steve said took about a half hour while he struggled with the oil pan :stuck_out_tongue:

hopfully tomorrow the engine and tranny will be out.

Fixed, and struggled isn’t even the word hahah.

haha…itll be a helluva lot easier to take off once everything is out.

True that. My bay is gonna look so fucking clean. I can’t wait!

Jam also might stop by after 12 tomorrow night for a bit.
we gotta get the mini fridge out there, I’m gonna buy some pop tonight for it while I’m out getting pong cups.

:tup: to making progress on this