Need Advice..

ok first things first please stay on topic in this thread as my threads tend to go way out of course.

I have an opportunity to get a new job at a new place doing what i do best web design. This new company will be starting to pay me decent and is willing to pay for any training and etc need to get me certified. After i get certified in this which ever course/courses i get a bonus and a raise. I will be doing things which will finally allow me to be creative and create new ideas.

Where i work now i am not happy but i don’t mind the work , i do web design but its more tedious work, and the owner tends to only allow me to design ugly sites due to “thats what he likes”. Pay is OK but not that great, i get by to pay the bills that’s about it.

Here is the catch this new company where i have this opportunity at does not allow “side work”. Which causes a huge problem since i run my own little small business doing the same thing… web design… he is willing to work with me and come up with some sort of agreement. He suggested that any client i get bring under this other company’s name and etc…

So we decided that i come up with some sort of agreement with the side work i do/get. The idea i have so far is that when ever i get a new client or “side job” which ever it may be i fwd it to this new job, but each job i do has to have some sort of recognition in it. Such as in the credits section or footer of the site "Design and produced by 'company ’ and ‘my company’. After that for each project i get trough my company i will get some sort of commission. such as 30% of total project cost + the pay i would normally get working on the project. I am not sure if he will agree to this idea or not. but its the only thing i can think of.

And the thing is at my current job i can do basically whatever i want outside of work , as long as i don’t interfere with my current jobs clients.

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

knowing that you have spent the past 6-7 years learning and working up to your self to this point where i am now for your own company…

if the pay is that good leave. at the sametime, come up with a new name for your side business and dont let them know. OR Have someone “take over” your business and keep your old name.

who says that have to know about your side work…use a fake name :)…but if u can come to an agreement on allowing u to do side work than do it…i am sure ur current company wouldnt be happy if they found out you had taken a client from them…jsut have to be careful on how u go about things.

yeah, tell them that you and buddy started your side work company and that YOU personally wont be doing any more side work but your buddy will continue cuz he has equal ownership

Look at the clients the one company has and look at how its growing etc…compared to the other company.

Which one do you have a better chance of a career with and not just a job.

i have an idea.

have you new company take on your current “clients” and then you make comission on those clients.

1, you keep you clients
2, you make more money for new company
3, you look good for both your clients and new company

unless your making 100k on “side jobs” dont even think about passing up this opportunity

just be honest and give ur current small business partner the BOOT lol

take the steady job, with steady pay…

Non-Compete contracts don’t hold up in most cases here anyway. As long as you are not stealing client, stealing information, leads or bid against the company you are working for you should never have a problem.

Do you mind if I ask the name of the company? PM it to me if you want, I know a ton of people around here.