Need gun advice

Had a little mishap today with my Thompson Center. Had my .50 cal muzzleloader barrel attached (stainless) and it fell on the pavement. Left some good marks on the side of the barrel. Is there a way to fix this? Damage is cosmetic, the rest of the gun escaped damage. Can something like that be polished out? Its either fix it or buy a whole new barrel and id like to avoid that expense. Thanks.

Even though it look cosmetic even the smallest of a fraction of change inside not visible to the eye could be even more catastrophic and ruin accuracy and consistency. You should really send it to a gunsmith with the tools to check the barrels straightness. The barrels for those probably cost less then what it would cost to have professionally checked and repaired if its even possible.

Yea thats what ill do just to be safe. Shot 2 inches left at 160 yards after the mishap, but thats stretching the range of my setup. Could have been the scope, me, the gun, either way ill bring it in for a check up.

Definitely have it checked. Dropping any gun is not something to toy with and just go back to shooting while throwing caution to the wind. If it’s a TC octo-barrel I can check the barrels straightness pretty easy but have to take the rifle apart for a day. Would need the gun for about a day. If it’s bent, buying a new barrel is the way to go. Straightening the barrel get’s into all sort of metal fatigue without proper heat treatments and just isn’t worth it on anything that can be bought off-shelf :slight_smile:

I dont have the Octagon barrel so no dice there. Im not sure they make that an option for the Encore do they?

I will def have it checked out as soon as possible either way. Thanks though.