need help hanging a wall mount for my tv

so i just bought a kinect and i need to put my tv on a different wall in my game room. i was tapping around and the joe schmoe who framed the place must have forgotten to put a stud in, conveniently right in the middle of the wall where i want to hang my tv. there is another stud, but its about 3 feet apart

what options do i have aside from ripping the drywall down and putting a 2x4 in between the 2 studs? anyone have any ideas?

duct tape. or put two studs (or ferring strips) horizontal and paint them black or color-matched to the wall. should only need them to be 32" long if just one stud is MIA. i know you’re mad baller so youre tv must be larger than 32" thus covering the studs.

its actually 36". part of me is thinking that i should just do that and hope the tv covers it…

How heavy is the tv? How thick is the drywall? Can you hit at least 1 stud?

i can hit 1 stud, but the closest one is 36" away. drywall is not very thick, tv is give or take 40-50 lbs

Personally, to avoid drywall work, i would do as mentioned above and run a piece of wood between the studs on top of the drywall. Make it decorative. If it overhangs, make it a bit longer, put some plant hooks on it and hang your stockings from them for santa to fill!

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Also, it depends on the style of mounting bracket for the television, but you may have to build a framework so you have vertical runners to hook it to. It’s been a few years since i’ve hung a television so i’m not sure if the new style mounts are any different than the ones i used in the past.

make a steel plate that goes to both studs and paint it black, then mount the tv to that. itll look like its part of the mount for the tv?

6 posts and no one suggested JB weld yet? For shame.

The mount for the TV can be put up offset to one side, so that it hits a stud. The wall mount kit is a 2-piece unit. One bracket on the wall, one bracket on the TV. Then the TV side bracket can slide side to side on the wall bracket. This allows you to center the TV on the wall. With most TV’s you won’t notice that the TV is offset with the wall bracket.

This is how mine is done in my bedroom and it’s worked out perfectly. No need to put up extra boards or tear down drywall.

edit: I just saw the part where you said the studs are 3 feet apart. If that’s true, I wouldn’t even bother with trusting my TV hanging from that wall…

i wouldnt decorate them. that would just draw attention to them, which is what he’s tryin to avoid.

use 6 hilti toggle anchors, don’t worry about the studs

Drywall anchors /thread

I dont think I would ever use drywall anchors for a tv. idgaf what they are rated for.

how about a piece of 1" AC plywood screwed to both studs, then you can trim the plywood with some 1/4"x1" pieces, paint it to match the wall, no one will ever see it. And if they do then its nice looking.

i just ended up putting it in a different room

why don’t you just put it in another room?

hang it from the ceiling using fishing line.

I think you should just put it in a different room. that would be a lot easier.

Lol.

Maybe try a different house?

I’m currently tv-less with a wall full of studs. must have hdmi inputs though.