TV Mount

The wife and I moved into our new place and I got screwed on the layout and don’t have a large wall for mounting. I started with wanting a 52" TV (move living room to bedroom) but I am starting to see that might not be an easy sale for the wife. I have attached some pictures of the bedroom but I basically have 2 options: the small wall between the closets and the door way and the corner of the room. I have attached some measurements and pictures for references.

Room -> ~12’ X 16.5’
Corner -> ~31" between wall and dresser; ~36-38" angle between wall/dresser
Small Wall -> ~34"

I have a receiver, DVD player, and will have a cable box. The small wall would be the best place as it is right in front of the bed but it’s just not wide enough (e.g. 32" TV max?) and I am not thrilled about walking into the room and having a small bookcase holding the components and a TV RIGHT there. The corner would work as I have more real estate but not sure how I would mount that to the wall. Obviously, a slight angle (using the corner) would give me the most area to work with but not sure how that mount would work. I’d want the mount to swivel so I could see it from the opposite corner of the room where my side of the bed is :slight_smile:
Ideas?

Crappy photos of new room:

www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/1.jpg
www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/2.jpg
www.shawnaugust.com/PICS/HOME/HARTSDALE/3.jpg

Best place IMO would be at in angle in that corner above the door frame if it would fit at an angle pointing down towards the bed. Sounds awkward, but being at an angle and high up its actually a little less stresfull to watch while laying in bed once you get used to it.

IIRC They do make “corner” mounts that mount in the crease of the wall with a swinging arm that would allow adjustability and would help make it work.

Also being that its 52" youd most certainly want it in a stud and not relying on dry wall anchors.

I wanted 52" but we just don’t have the room. In reality, I have “Corner -> ~31” between wall and dresser; ~36-38" angle between wall/dresser" so I am thinking I can fit a 37-40" if I angle it properly. I just need a swivel where I can fit it against the wall in that tight corner and then come out on an angel so that it doens’t impede the door. I just don’t know how those mounts work to know what I can fit in there and how much mobility I have.

I used a cantiliver mount on a 36" lcd in my old room to keep it out of they way unless i wanted to lay around and watch tv. then when done I tucked it out of the way.

This is what I was thinking. What mobility do you have? Do you have it mounted into a stud in the wall? I am not sure if I have a stud to use yet. Looking at the picture, I need to use the angle as the resting location as I only have 31" between wall and the dresser. I NEED to use a angle to maximize the real estate. I just can’t think of any other way.

I had one from Omni which does a lot of tv mounts and other similar home electronics stuff. It mounts vertical on a wall stud. The range was very larger. the mount i had you could tilt up and down and it could move the tv out about 2 feet left and right and do a full 180 sweep.

Wut.

in between the closet and the door in the third picture I feel you can put as big of a tv you want, just get the swinging wall mount… You can swing it from the left to right and it wont get in the way of the closet or door… It’d also be right in front of your bed so you wont have to watch tv at an angle… Thats what id do, fuck small tvs lol

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ0fq2VC0lY[/ame]

$250? That’s like nearly more than the TV. :slight_smile: Yea, this is what I was thinking but not sure how that would MOUNT in the corner as if I mount against the wall, I can only fit a 31" unless I mount against the side of the wall and then use the mobility of the MOUNT to just keep the TV sitting in the corner. You’d probably see the ugly mount unless it is covered by the TV. Hmm. That might work. Not comfortable making a decision on either and then dealing with the bullshit of it not working and fucking up the walls. I guess I have options. I guess the easiest would be a wall mount and then reposition the TV to live in the corner. No BS corner mount.

I made the decision to go with the short wall which is right in front of my bed and using a swiffle mount. The TV will hang over in front of the closet but the wife can easily move it to the side. With that said, I haven’t checked for a stud but I assume that is necessary? Any ideas other than a hanging wall shelf? I can’t think of anything lese evasive for the receiver, center channel surround sound, DVD player, and DVR.

You def want to mount it to a stud