Need opinions on these frame sliders...

Definitely gonna want frame sliders for my bike, and the ONLY ones I can find for the '08 250R’s are these…

http://www.nomadicmoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_103_120&products_id=2859

Fabricated by some company called Shogun. Says they’re not easy to install, but do not require cutting of the fairings.

I’m completely new to this, so what do you all think? Is $220 a bit overpriced?

(this is oleg posting, don’t feel like logging in and out)
find out if the ones that attach to motor/around the motor are metal or plastic/rubber.
if they’re metal - run away.
plastic/rubber is designed to compress and grind down as the bike slides, taking all the forces of the impact.
metal pieces that some of those assholes sell will do the opposite - transfer the entire shock of the impact to
their mounting point, denting or breaking it, and also because they are metal they are likely to catch in a slide
and send the bike spinning/tumbling in an unpredictable fashion.
on a ninja, with it’s fairly wonky tubular frame, I don’t know if they’re worth the trouble.

Oleg, those frame slider pucks are made of Delrin plastic, just like most other frame sliders. If you can find more information on those frame sliders it would help a bit as there really isnt much information on that page linked. Mainly how they mount to the bike, most of the time the frame slider mounts directly into a engine mount bolt and is very solid. Another option is to have a metal bracket go between two engine mounting bolts and have the frame slider attach to that, another good way to do it when done correctly. What you have to watch out for are the ones that have a bracket that only mounts in one point as they are much more likely to snap the bracket and cause more damage than the fall alone would have. To add to what Oleg said.

^^good points.
RSX, here’s a read pertaining to this;
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_install_frame_sliders
they’re referring to the older model, but since structurally the new 250s are nearly identical to older ones it carries the same weight.
If you still want to get them, that site has a forum section about the new ninja where you can ask, I’m sure someone there already tried those sliders.
concerning original question - at least they seem to be made of appropriate material, but the way they mount is still iffy, the only place I could guess they go to
is the engine mount in the front, and with the frame being tubular steel, impact there is likely to tweak the frame.

WHOA over 200 bucks for some frame sliders, your kidding? thats kinda way to much I wouldnt pay more than 50

generally speaking the no-cut frame sliders are pretty shoddy. they are usually secured by metal brackers, which are thin enough to bend, thereby making the slider useless.

I paid like 50 bucks for my vortex sliders, threw the bike down at about 30mph, the bike slid probably 500 feet.

the sliders did their job and it was merely fairing damage, scratches and scuffs

+1 on what code said, the main point of the sliders it to protect the frame and the motor, not the fairing.
on a ninja the motor is skinny, and the frame is a backbone diamond, so it’s not exposed in a crash.
those sliders aren’t likely to save the fairing if you do crash, and are liable to additionally damage the frame.

oleg pretty much summed everything up. keep your money for other items, you could opt for bar end and swingarm spools

dude frame sliders are pegs that stick out your side of the bike. All you need is the right bolt and some bicycle pegs :slight_smile:

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I would love to see the footage of metal sliders catching on asphalt, then launching the bike into a death cycle

Pardon my dumb questions, but I am a n00b and all my biker friends are back in Rochester. WTF is a swingarm spool?!

swingarm spools are essentially small sliders that mount to the swingarm where the rear wheel attaches, providing some additional protection
to the bike in a slide. depending on the muffler size and placement they may be useful or utterly pointless.

that andthey allow you to use a rear stand with ease

Merci beaucoup.

ya , cuz looking at my bike without the spools, how the hell do they use a rear stand on them ? they must somehow

If the bike has a flat swingarm you can use a stand that has two dowels basically sticking out to hold the bike up, though it isn’t exactly a secure system.

ahhh ! ok , yea i dont think it would be so secure