Need Some Advice, BMW Guys Come on Down

ive always always always wanted an e30 m3. But I wouldn’t trade an amg for this ever. ever.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: trade an 05 for an 89 straight up

IF you were going to build something like this it’s probably better to trade. Otherwise I would want $4k on top of the trade.

What LZ said… exactly my thoughts.

I realize the BMW is a cool car but it’s a niche market.

You could trade the Merc in anywhere and if you apply your self it will probably sell pretty easy(try forums that have money)

So…

You’re trying to trade your newer well running car with warranty for a:
1989 M3 that doesnt have original paint
has a motor you dont want
has wheels that you’re going to sell in 2weeks of ownership just to have something different
and the suspension is only a koni/gc setup

if you’re going to do this trade you might as well trade me for my s2000 and lose out on a bunch of money to at least someone you know :lol:

on the other hand a nice clean and well painted M3 shell is probably worth 10k for the next 1000 years… this car could never be worth less than 15k forever also…

I’d take the trade. Maybe I’m biased cause I’ve always loooovveeeddd those cars. Granted its older and right now may be worth a tad less this car will be a collectors item. It will never loose value. I’d say if you were to trade with the intent of selling the m3 then no but if you plan on keeping the car then absolutly do it

Watching prices on these before a perfectly mint, absolutely perfect swap shouldn’t be worth any more then 22k. more likely high teens. Basically everything that has been said before. Having the increased power is nice, but given the handling characteristics that are thrown off with the increase in front end weight, the swap is a waste of a good chassis in my opinion. Swapping into the standard E30 chassis is something I wouldn’t mind doing… Id rather have the S65 in the E30 M3…

The handling doesnt change worth a shit. So sick of hearing people say that.

Pt bought his with original paint which was 10/10 condition and a great interior for less than $10k. Was closer to 7k IIRC.

I say S85.

these were exactly my thoughts. hwoever i think im going to pass on this, theres to much going on that im uneasy about and if im not 100% comfortable with it im not doing it. thanks for all the help guys

write-up? trans bracket avail as well? what driveshaft? remote mount brake booster I assume? what’s the weight of the s62? dual vanos & throttle?

have a spare s62, wouldn’t mind trading my e36m3 for an e30m3 shell (or sell one buy the other) when work steadies out

Oh, You’re tired of hearing that?
Add that to the list of reasons I sold my car.

I’ll PM you all the details. It is 99% OEM bmw parts.

http://www.rtsauto.com/e30-bmw-m62-v8-swap-3/ goes over most of the stuff you need to know for swapping a bmw v8.

In the case of the s62 you’ll need someone to modify your ecu to get rid of ews, steering angle sensors, canbus etc, if you want to use the s62 ecu and keep the wiring simple.
For brake booster setups you can grab all the shit of a v8 e34 and weld the bracket into your engine bay or wait for this shit to come out
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.234662816642518.47019.178417442267056&type=3

I would think markD can do the software, I have a canbus timeout from my car being swapped auto to manual he said is no problem. he sends some US packages to my warehouse (friends w my landlord)
will have to look into Lee’s relocation, looks like his domain expired. will have to look into pedal ratios as well. def want a booster, it won’t be a track-only car.
Even still, I dunno. I have a few e34 540i’s for parts I could take the remote setup from
and still curious about weight issues of s62, it has an aluminum block though right? one swap I saw cut firewall and positioned it pretty far back. I don’t mind inline 6 e30’s, I’ve had a few 24v ones over the years (s50 obd1 s52 and euro s50b30) but I haven’t looked into s62 characteristics
def want to be able to communicate w/ it

Axis covered most of it.

Weight issues? lol. Seriously who gives a shit. STREET CAR. That being said it’s 13lbs heavier than an S52, makes double the power, and sits further back. There is no downside.

oil pan modifications necessary? I saw that http://300mm.de/ as a parts source but don’t know German. are there trans mounts out there as well? what driveshaft is used? does the trans tunnel have to be cut to accomodate the shifter?

what about wiring, dual vanos operational and is there a way to communicate w/the motor?

Lastly, what do you guys think s62 e30m3’s would go for? If my euro s50 touring went for (supposedly) $45k with the m3 widebody, I’d imagine an s62 car to be worth some bucks (not like bs s50 e30 m3’s)