Need some help buying a gas grill for outside.

the one thing I’ve learned about grills is that you either go very cheap, or go expensive… everything midrange sucks but “kind of looks like the expensive ones”.

I just rebuilt my 6-7 year old weber and it the fact I can buy parts and get good service is priceless.

people often look at stainless outsides, the number of jets, storage areas… what really matters is the ability to hold heat and cook evenly and last a long time…

at the end of the day you can buy shit 3 times or do it right once.

I just checked. My grill is a hand me down Char Broil. It’s about 5 years old and has had a cover it’s whole life. It’s still very solid, although I did have to drop a Hamilton ($10) on a new flame spreader last year. It’s been stored outside its whole life.

Yes it does have hot spots, but they’re not bad and if you want perfectly even heat go bake me something Sally. A real man can grill to perfection with any flame.

OK so yeah a nice Webber would be great, but they’re expensive.

A cheap grill with a cover can last years.

should be stickied for the summer :tup:

my dads webber broke a year or so ago, something with the fuel supply went bad and the part was as much as a new one would be. he ditched it, sadly. one weird thing that happened with his webber towards the end, the coating on the inside of the lid started flaking off? idk if it was just resude from years of grilling but it was a bit uneasy cooking stuff on it

i got a grill por gratis from a board member and it works great, couldnt be happier for the price (thanks dlatone!) it has hot spots, but like fry said, im a mothafuckin MAN

Just like most things in life the choice is up to you if you want to spend the money for quality and performance.

A base Hyundai will get you from home to work and back with a warranty, but Porsche still sells cars. Some people would rather pay more and get more. To each his own.

Personally, I have a three year old $200 char-broil right now and it’s a piece of shit. An o-ring blew in one of the control knobs, melted the knob right off, and I had flames shooting out the hole where the knob used to be. Char-broil replaced the parts for free after I bitched about the damn thing almost blowing up my deck. It still has flare ups, hot spots and issues with the burners getting blown out when it’s windy. When it’s dead, which probably won’t be much longer, I’m going to drop the $650 on a Weber Genesis EP310. Maybe I’ll get lucky and find one 50% off at the end of the season this year. :slight_smile:

dont you drive a rebadged holden with stock strut rub?

Don’t you drive a pos and deliver pizza for a living?

I have absolutely beat the shit out of my Weber. I think it was bought 6-7 years ago at my last duty station (they decomissioned and I won it in a raffle). Used by several people that used it like they didn’t own it. Since then I have had several grease fires (the grease trap fills up in one evetn) and one even called for some nice corrosive dry chem to be sprayed on it. Still it cooks nice and even.

Oddly enough my mom bought the same one, but hers was stainless without the cast iron grill. I prefer the cast iron.

actually, no. i drive 2 pos’s!

but rly dont you drive a rebadged holden that gets 8 mpg’s, has stock strut rub and is as ugly as my shit?

It gets 15 mpg beating the hell out of it, all in town. Low to mid 20’s when it gets out on the highway. And rebadging Holdens was the best idea GM ever had because it showed them what interiors should be. Sure, strut rub sucks but it’s a $300 fix. When you don’t deliver pizza for a living you can spend $300 on strut mounts and not worry about not being able to afford gas.

Don’t buy anything from Target. I bought a grill from them last year and am now selling it in the trader for $20. They wouldn’t replace it and were very unhelpful. They will however give you the number to their head office in India. Those people are awesome. :sarcasm: Abu will have you pulling your hair out in under 5 minutes.

Dude, why the fuck didn’t you ask me?

Weber ftmfw (short of a custom brick bbq pit).

Ducane - eww… They are just not well made, IMO. Alot of thin stamped panels, screws (no bolts), etc. But very pretty, and they come with some cool features.

I need to amke another thread…