Need Some Laptop Input

Well I already have a PC with pretty good specs for gaming and everything else. This is mainly for web browsing, troubleshooting, and maybe some music.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147920&nm_mc=AFC-SlickDeals&cm_mmc=AFC-SlickDeals--NA--NA-_-NA

I don’t believe all the mass market laptops are garbage. Some are… everyone I know that’s bought a Macbook has had problems within a year - mainly memory and hard drive issues. I had a HP that lasted three years without major issues, and four years now with some minor issues (lines in screen, dvd-rom stopped working, battery is garbage). My wife’s sister has a Toshiba that’s three years old now with no issues, but I did however buy an extended warranty on this Toshiba I just got (to 3 years total) for $150. They have a useful life of three to four years for me.

ThinkPads are great laptops

I’ve got a 15.4 running WSXGA+ (1680x1050) and my next laptop will have a 17" screen. I need the higher resolution to fit the development environments I use and at 15.4 text is pretty small. I’ve used my co-workers new Dell with a 17" and similar resolution and it’s perfect. Plus you get a real number pad on the keyboard.

Sure, it’s a bit bigger to lug around, but if you aren’t wearing a skirt you should be able to handle it.

do yourself a favor and get a dock with multiple monitors or a desktop computer to code on. Unless of course you need to be on your couch and coding at the same time.

To me, it sounds like you are not using the laptop for its intended use, which it to be atop your lap. Get it?

my laptop at work has a dock with dual monitors, keyboard, mouse, hard-wired ethernet. If I wasn’t on-call after hours I would not have even bothered with ordering the laptop.

You can get a dell studio 15 with the 3 year at home warranty and above your specs for that price.

Fuck your walmart crap

Dell vostro 1500

5.7lbs; 15.4"; Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 @ 1.8Ghz; 2GB RAM; 160GB HDD; 802.11b/g; DVD-ROM/CDRW combo; 802.11b/g; Vista Home Basic; 6-cell; 1yr warranty

$504- free shipping

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&m_29=S1YOSMI&oc=bqcw51z&s=bsd&dgc=BF&cid=27740&lid=941080&acd=10606644-227502-152007-n-10

I love my dell, ive used it for everything from gaming to traveling to school with me for 4 years and that was a refurb. You can’t beat the CS from the warrenty either. I had a stick of ram go bad and they shipped one to me same day (12 hours) free of charge.

The whole point of the laptop to me is to be able to get out of my office and work where ever I want. On the patio by the pool, in the living room, at the kitchen table or even at the mall food court. Hell, if you call the 800 number at Pfizer to get info about their allergy drug Zyrtec you should know I wrote all the code behind that IVR in the back seat of my Expedition while the wife was driving us down to Endicott to see family for Christmas.

I don’t need a dock, I have a desktop for that. When you work 8-5 sitting at a desk M-F it’s nice to get away from a desk when you end up doing development stuff outside your regular job.

Listen to what this guy says. And for that price, upgrade to the 3 year warranty for an extra ~150.

I love my vostro 1500… very fast, perfect size, flat black that doesn’t show dirt or smudges and it’s comfortable and has never burned my lap from just doing school work/web browsing/music.

The vostro’s arent bad units.

And you most definitely want to get some kind of a warranty on it if you plan on keeping it longer than the standard warranty. Its expensive, yes… But youre probably going to use it at least once over the three years if you use the laptop often.

I didnt say all, I said most. And this is no opinion, it is fact. You yourself even said you had issues with the HP, lines in the screen and the dvd drive failing is a issue for me. And the older macbook’s were never that great. The latest revision before the unibodys appear to be solid, and the iBook G4’s were very good as well.

Extended warranty is a must, you cant rely on anyone to make a solid unit thats going to work flawlessly for three years. Desktops generally run for 5-10 years with at most a HD failing, but laptops always have issues for some reason.

Comparing desktops and laptops for reliability is pretty pointless. My desktop has moved maybe twice in the entire time I’ve had it. Laptops are constantly being bounced around, flexed, going from hot to cold, hard drives spinning and reading while bouncing around on your lap. Yeah, stuff is going to fail.

My Inspiron 6000 had the screen go a year and half after I bought it. I don’t really blame Dell because that lid had been opened and closed 1000’s of times and the laptop carted around all over with me. I picked up a brand new screen on ebay for around $200 and swapped it out in about 20 minutes. The thing is going on 4 years now and no other issues.

Alright I customized a laptop on HP it looks solid so I think I might order it when the tax returns come in.

HP Pavilion dv5z customizable Notebook PC
FW033AV

• Onyx
  • Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)
  • AMD Turion™ X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-72 (2.1GHz)
  • 15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
  • FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm) from 1GB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)!!
  • ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics
  • FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • Webcam Only
  • HP Color Matching Keyboard
  • Wireless-G Card
  • No Modem
  • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
  • No TV Tuner w/remote control
  • High Capacity 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
  • Microsoft® Works 9.0
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Notebook instant rebate –$150.00
Order subtotal $658.99
Shipping FREE

slightly used MacBook /thread

do not want.

ew dude dont get a fucking turion. AMD is waaaaaaaaaay behind.

eh too late. Unless this doesn’t go through I got the AMD…once again not my top choice for CPU but Intel was not an option with this specific laptop. I do have a Intel in my desktop so it’s all good.